Another thread about lose of power/boost

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gigity2008

Reaction score
Another thread about loss of power/boost

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to help out my brother whos been taken for an expensive ride. His D40 lost power started blowing smoke. A local mechanic made me pay for new injectors - didn't work, then a new turbo - also didn't work. I made him buy a new boost solinoid - also didn't work.
Vac lines are new, MAF is clean, ECU is reset.
If i hold the turbo outlet hose expands under boost which suggests the solinoid is working. I'm can't think of what else to do. :confused2:

Last edited:
Obviously none of that has fixed the problem.

Simple things first, fuel and air filters, how long since they've been replaced? Does it have a snorkel and if so, does the little mesh screen on the snorkel head have any damage indicating something may be stuck in there.

Hi, hopefully you can get this fixed.

So had similar issues with mine, turned out to be solenoid/vacuum hoses but as you have replaced them that is clear. Although the vacuum hoses can be an issue if they are not extremely tight.
Get hold of an OBD2 reader or bluetooth sender and app etc. See what sort of boost numbers you are getting.
Where are you located as I have readers etc.

Once you can confirm it is getting boost under driving conditions then you can move to next in line.

I agree with getting boost numbers first, having that sort of information could help prove the turbocharger and its control sections are innocent. :)

Also, what colour smoke are we talking about? Whitish/greyish or black? I wouldn't expect blue smoke to cause a problem unless the turbocharger bearings had failed, oil was being pumped past the journal bearings into the exhaust - that's clearly not the case since you've noticed boost working.

If you're getting whitish smoke, you might have a DPF sensor fault. You don't say whether it's a manual or an auto - DPFs were only in the autos - so if it's a manual, forget this paragraph, but if it's an auto - you will need to do something about the DPF. There are a couple of options.

1) DPF Delete Pipe. Generally around the $1100-1200 mark. I can only assume it comes with new sensors, and is not the path I took.

2) Replace DPF with a 2nd-hand one. Definitely something to consider, most cars don't become wrecks because of a DPF failure, but consider giving it a clean before installation.

3) Replace DPF with a new one. Not from Nissan - they want $4K (or your firstborn) for one, but you can get aftermarket ones.

4) Hollow out the DPF yourself and fit a pair of DPF sensors ($600, when I bought mine) from auggie on this forum (send him a private message). This is what I did. My car does now blow black smoke on takeoff, and the inside of my exhaust is now black, but I have no DPF issues, no false limp modes and basically no worries. I changed the sensors over myself, takes about 15 minutes which includes getting my old joints under the vehicle and hunting around for the spanner my arthritic hand kept dropping.

Black smoke is a sign of too much fuel for the air the engine is getting. That could be turbo - either the turbo itself or its control mechanisms - but if you get an OBD2 reader/BT+app, and see that under acceleration you're getting around 18-22psi of boost, the turbo is delivering and the fault is elsewhere.

Consider cleaning the intercooler - remove from the front of the car (two bolts, plus two hose clamps, after removing the grille for access). Pour about 100ml of petrol into it with one hand covering the lower opening, then cover the upper opening and invert it, releasing pressure from the upper hand. Repeat 5-6 times or until the liquid coming out is starting to resemble the colour of what went in.

You might also consider cleaning the MAFS - it's in the back of the air tube just out of the air filter. Remove the screws and gently pull it out - don't stick ANYTHING in it, it will be destroyed ($400 from Nissan) - use electrical contact cleaner (Jaycar), MAFS cleaner (Supercheap) - don't use degreasers, solvents or petrol, it's an electronic circuit.

Looks like I’m on this journey. Down on power, up in smoke in the normal ‘boost’ range. Newly acquired obd adaptor telling me boost is around 6psi under load. Still working out how to drive the OBD scanner. Need to find the fuel leak that’s means after an overnight stop I need to prime the fuel using the bulb under in the engine bay. Seems to run fine once started though.

2007 STX manual with 180k on it. Probably need to clean out the inter cooler and inlet manifold.

What would be considered normal boost under load? Are there other sensor parameters I can inspect to help reduce spanner time?

You should expect around 20psi of boost. Mine peaks at around 21psi but I've set it there with the Tilix valve. Max boost (I believe) is around 24psi but I don't like it going that high.

Cleaning out the intercooler is a piece of cake. The inlet manifold is somewhat more difficult.

21/22psi easy.
i had the same issue a couple of times, 1st was perished hoses to the turbo and boost solenoid, the other was the hose came off the boost sensor on the intercooler!

Thanks. Will keep digging. Driving this arvo it seems to be intermittent. Couple of times boost got up around 17, third gear pulling well. Other times boost stayed under 10 and felt like it want pulling like it should. Looks like I might need to trace some vacuum lines around to inspect.

Discovered a perished vacuum hose that runs across the top of the engine. When priming the fuel bulb my arm has been pushing on the hose which could explain the intermittent nature of the fault.

Will have to get some vacuum hose.

I found another leak. Hose was broken almost completely off at the turbo. Snipped off the offending section and pushed it back into place. Boost is back baby! Hitting 15psi easily without too much throttle. No idea how long it’s been slow, but must be weeks.

A fair bit of the hose is perished so full replacement will be soon. Hopefully will find time over the weekend.

Replaced the hoses and seems to be running sweet.

Fortunate side effect: the fuel priming issue hasn’t reoccurred for the last few mornings. Starts and runs without needing to squeeze the bulb after an overnight stop. Saves having to track down that leak!

Latest posts

Back