Another newbie

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gorb

Reaction score
Greetings all,
Just joined the world of Navara having just taken possession of - what I hope to be - a nice used 2010 D22 YD25 ST-R with 150000 km's. It is a Thai Version (VIN MNT...) and totally unmolested from what I can tell other than a Redarc Electric trailer brakes module fitted. It has reasonably Ok service history recorded.

Prior to purchase I had stumbled across the timing chain and clutch issues which had me pretty much cross off Navara's from my list. Then I discovered "head issues" on Ford Couriers and other issues on other vehicles, so revisited Navara. Deeper reading of posts, I found that the clutch on D22 is a non issue solid mass (someone needs to post that info in big letters at the top of the page) , and our (D22) version of YD25 is slightly less powered than D40, so less likely to suffer timing chain issue. That's what I took from all the info I could read without blowing out my eyes. Hopefully this is correct.

Armed with good advice from here and YD25.com.au etc.. The best car I could find in budget was the one I have purchased. I believe it is a nice car without too many issues, but the niggles are appearing. There are two things that have me stumped and no amount of searching has been able to identify same issue. As this is general chat, I will post the questions in D22 engine forum..

But for General Chat and for those who live in the Canberra region... My purchasing experience went sour... I bought my car out of Canberra and I'm not sure if I am allowed to name and shame businesses, so if a moderator says yes then I will, but my purchase experience...

I bought the car out of a large dealership and surprisingly, the service was really good. They picked up that the car was due for service and offered to do it, so they sent the car to an independent small workshop nearby as the dealership workshop supposedly couldn't get it done in a timely manner. Apparently this is the norm. When I arrived to view, test drive etc, the car was still in for service, so the salesman took me around and said I could look at it, whilst being serviced. We went to the workshop, but as I expected, the workshop would not allow us into the work area. No problem, I waited at the dealership for 2 hours and the car was returned. I was sitting at the salesman's desk whilst he was talking to others, when it came back and they left the invoice and keys. I read the invoice, full oil change Penrite Semi Synthetic, Z89A filter, air filter and general checks undertaken. A note further stated coolant needed replacing and radiator cap had a fault, but was not undertaken. Total cost to dealer $440. Great, a service done AND the dealer gave me coolant and radiator cap as I am happy to do myself.

So I went on the test drive, checked things, even stopped back at the little workshop to get their thoughts and all good and I bought the vehicle. (Can't work out the issue with radiator cap, no leak, no seal broken, no overheating but I got a new one). Drive it home... 55km's and park up for the night.

The next day, as a tinkerer and someone who likes to play with their cars, I pulled the dipstick to ensure levels all good to discover oil that is blacker than a witch's cat.. Put a bit on my finger, smells burnt and slightly sludgy. Had a close look at oil filter, has a lot of road grime for 55km's... Pull the air cleaner, my god... The air box is full of leaves and the filter is clogged. I tap the filter lightly on the ground and recovered some amazing grit out of it.

Took photos of the lot and contacted the dealership who told me to bring it back and they will get back to the same workshop and get it completed. I'm going, you have to be kidding, I've just called out this workshop, clearly they are milking you and you want me to entrust my car with them - again! Not likely... So I've asked for either the parts to do myself or another workshop. They are still yet to get back to me. The biggest disbelief is that the dealership is so big, they are just going to pay the invoice as it has already gone through to "accounts". I'm thinking I might send in a couple of "late payments reminders" to them. See if they get paid. Anyway, enough rambling... My point is, if I am allowed to name workshop I will for those in Canberra Region as this workshop has reasonably favourable reviews from "google reviews" and by coincidence, one complaint of no service being undertaken. This is crazy deceit from a workshop but I guess lots of people don't check their own cars at all. I will post pics as soon as I work it out.

Cheers to all

Last edited:
do your own service or take it to kay mart sevice, sit outside while they drain oil etc etc. i have done abot 800000 klms in my cars only ever done 3 services at dealers , all motors have been fine..

Latest posts

Back