Another D22 lost power

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daktari

Reaction score
Sorry, I know next to nothing about diesels.

The D22 turbo 2.5lt went from hero to zero in about 10klms. No check engine light.

It has lost power everywhere, from low revs at take off to WOT. It won't get to over 80kph. It feels like about 40% power across the rev range. It blows heaps of black smoke.

To try to fix it I have
  • Cleaned the MAF sensor
  • Removed the intercooler
  • Driven it without the turbo connected
  • Hard reset on computer - no fault codes
  • Engine oil good and on the full mark
  • Currently soaking the intercooler over night
None of this made a change.

There is a lot of sludge in the intake system, including the inlet manifold. I traced it back to be coming from the engine breather.... Is this normal ???

No metal in the sludge.

I ran it with the intercooler off, with about 2,500rpm the turbo is only blowing like a hair dryer, but with no load maybe that's expected ???

I am going for the EGR valve next. Should I blank it off or replace it ?

Any tips for what it might be ?

if its egr blocked open then it would have been blowing a ton of smoke.
plus the 2.5 d22 has egr position sensor so it should put engine light on if its stuck. unless your overseas with the early D22, but location and engine version is not mentioned.

if its egr blocked open then it would have been blowing a ton of smoke.
plus the 2.5 d22 has egr position sensor so it should put engine light on if its stuck. unless your overseas with the early D22, but location and engine version is not mentioned.

I was thinking when I said in my first post "it blows a ton of black smoke" that might have been close enough 🤣

Australian delivered D22. I don't know what engine version. I think it is 2009 model but my memory could be crap.

No check engine light during or now.

P.S.
I've got a small inline AOS coming to get rid of some of the engine breather sludge... It can't be good for it.

I was thinking when I said in my first post "it blows a ton of black smoke" that might have been close enough 🤣
DOH ! :sorry3:

aussie D22 2.5 will be common rail and they should have a position sensor on the egr valve (would have to double check the book). surprised that didn't flag an error.
edit: checked the book and they do have a egr position sensor. so thats a really strange one.
unless somethings broken and egr is bypassing the valve even when its closed.

Last edited:
just a thought,
check exhaust back pressure. dented exhaust pipes etc but also blocked up cat. the cat does filter a % of soot and convert it (and yes i do mean cat not dpf).
but if your blowing a lot of smoke, or oil leak from turbo, combined with a lot of slow driving that doesn't burn it off, the cat can become clogged up.
excessive back pressure can cause to much egr to go through when the valve is partly open. ecu doesn't measure egr flow, so it won't flag an error.

Quite possible, I don't know that it was jammed open but I assumed that the exhaust gas was getting through. I just made a blank off plate and it was back to normal, perhaps a little quicker to boost.

Latest posts

Back