Another Cruise control question

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cuda

Reaction score
My cruise control stopped working about a year ago and I have decided to fix it. I have been reading about the problem on the forum, but something strange (I think) happened the other day. I was sitting in the truck the other day and hit the cruise control button and the light (in the dash) came on. Like an idiot, I turned it off (I should have taken it out to see if it worked completely). attempted to engage again nothing. Any suggestions?
2008 D40 Navara, automatic transmission.

Cheers,
Cuda.

If it's working intermittently from the steering wheel, chances are that your clock spring is broken.

Intermittent test: turn the steering wheel a little one way while pressing it. Turn it the other way. Any difference? Yes? Clock spring it is! If not - and it's because you bumped the brake or clutch pedal just right - it's the switch on either of those pedals. Same deal - while tapping each pedal around, press the steering wheel switch.

So, assuming it's the clock spring: you have several choices.

1) Buying from Nissan. You can do this, but it's best done if you're married and have at least one child you can sell to them.

2) Buying aftermarket. Good idea, have done this myself, but make sure you get one with an "R" stamped on the upper face for "Right Hand Drive". Otherwise, your indicators won't cancel properly. See below about centering too.

3) Buy just the ribbon and make it a complete DIY. You'll have fun taking it apart (it's fairly obvious, just fiddly) but when you reassemble it, lightly turn it so that you find the centre (count the turns in each direction and balance them out so that you're in the middle). Of course, you MUST have made sure that your front wheels are pointed straight ahead before you remove the steering wheel!

My cruise control stopped working about a year ago and I have decided to fix it. I have been reading about the problem on the forum, but something strange (I think) happened the other day. I was sitting in the truck the other day and hit the cruise control button and the light (in the dash) came on. Like an idiot, I turned it off (I should have taken it out to see if it worked completely). attempted to engage again nothing. Any suggestions?
2008 D40 Navara, automatic transmission.

Cheers,
Cuda.

So does the CC on light illuminate when turning on/off but the set light won't?

My 2009 doesn't have a "Set" light. It's a shame that Nissan didn't have the technology to include a "Set" light in 2009, because Honda could manage it on my 1996 Goldwing.

It's worth checking the neutral position switch (NPS). Once that wears a bit the CC won't set. If yours has no "Set" light (like Old Tony's) then perhaps the CC light not illuminating is the sign it won't set a speed. That's a common symptom of a worn NPS.

I made a short video with my findings about the NPS and how it affects the CC.

If it's working intermittently from the steering wheel, chances are that your clock spring is broken.

Intermittent test: turn the steering wheel a little one way while pressing it. Turn it the other way. Any difference? Yes? Clock spring it is! If not - and it's because you bumped the brake or clutch pedal just right - it's the switch on either of those pedals. Same deal - while tapping each pedal around, press the steering wheel switch.

So, assuming it's the clock spring: you have several choices.

1) Buying from Nissan. You can do this, but it's best done if you're married and have at least one child you can sell to them.

2) Buying aftermarket. Good idea, have done this myself, but make sure you get one with an "R" stamped on the upper face for "Right Hand Drive". Otherwise, your indicators won't cancel properly. See below about centering too.

3) Buy just the ribbon and make it a complete DIY. You'll have fun taking it apart (it's fairly obvious, just fiddly) but when you reassemble it, lightly turn it so that you find the centre (count the turns in each direction and balance them out so that you're in the middle). Of course, you MUST have made sure that your front wheels are pointed straight ahead before you remove the steering wheel!

Tony,
did the steering wheel test, and it worked, so it would appear to be the clock spring. Thanks for the advice on the 'R' stamping. I will buy the whole unit (I have old British bikes and whenever I try delicate work it will normally be accompanied by a 'twang' followed by something flying past my ear). thanks for everyone help, I will let you know how it works out.
Cheers,
Cuda.

You should expect that these will cost you a bit - the left hand drive ones are very cheap because there's so many in the USA.

Here's the process of changing it:

1) Park the car with the wheels straight.
2) Use a flat-bladed screwdriver through the hole underneath the steering wheel (the screwdriver should be "aimed" at the steering column) to push the steel wire (looks about as thick as heavy fence wire)
3) Undo the ground wire for the horn.
4) Lift the black clip on the back of the yellow plug in the side of the airbag, then remove the yellow plug. Be gentle, you don't want to set the bag off. Set the airbag aside.
5) Undo the large nut in the centre of the steering wheel. It would be prudent to place a small mark across the steering wheel near the bolt and on the end of the bolt so that you can realign the steering wheel when reinstalling it. Remove the steering wheel.
6) Using a torx bit (I can't remember the size, sorry), undo the two torx screws in the bottom of the lower steering housing. Unclip the lower housing from the upper and remove the pieces.
7) Undo the indicator and washer stalks (press clips on the side of each).
8) Undo the two phillips screws that hold the clock spring in place. There are two electrical plugs in the back of the clock spring that have small tabs that lock them into place. Press the tabs and pull out the plugs.

Installation is a reversal of the above. Hopefully I've not forgotten too many steps!

Just did my clock spring.

I contacted clocksprings.com.au with the intent to order from them, but they were out of stock. I confirmed the part number with them after sending them the VIN. As they were out of stock I ended up getting one off eBay.

Found this video useful. Old tony describes it well, but video is worth a million words.

Uncoupling he airbag took a few goes until I got the feel for the clip that holds it on. It was easier initially to turn the wheel 90degrees left to see the release slot, but then straightened it up once the airbag was out.

Just did my clock spring.

I contacted clocksprings.com.au with the intent to order from them, but they were out of stock. I confirmed the part number with them after sending them the VIN. As they were out of stock I ended up getting one off eBay.

Found this video useful. Old tony describes it well, but video is worth a million words.

Uncoupling he airbag took a few goes until I got the feel for the clip that holds it on. It was easier initially to turn the wheel 90degrees left to see the release slot, but then straightened it up once the airbag was out.

Could you please provide the link to the Ebay one you bought? Mines also out of stock at Clocksprings

First Problem: I finally ordered a clock spring from Aust.spares after supplying the VIN number (which I rechecked). They referred me to a part # different from what I expected -25560-JS40A R/H It states 'To suite some Malaysian Models'??? When did Malaysia get into the picture? Whenever I have supplied my VIN # before it comes up as a Spanish build and any parts and accessories I have ordered (and there has been a lot ) have been for Spanish models and fitted.

Second Problem: I decided to take out the airbag to try and find part # and on clockspring and it won't budge I followed Old Tony's" advice and the youtube instructions (where it jumps out), as per usual, not for me. I have been on it for some time using screwdrivers of different width, going up and sideways nothing happens, except a slight lifting of the horn pad and the horn going off sometimes, which gets the old heart pumping when you are worried that you may activate the air bag. Any advice?

The clip inside that releases the horn/airbag is a stiff wire that, when pushed towards the centre of the steering column, disengages hooks in the back of the horn/airbag thus releasing it. Sometimes I don't get it pressed right either and it won't disengage, and I find that a gentle pressure down (as if I'm pressing the horn, but all over) helps.

I replaced the clock spring in my 2010 Thai build.
Its different than the Spanish
It has two airbag release clips - one from either side that need to be depressed simultaneously.
Took quite a bit of doing to get it right cos you are working blind.
I ended up buying some cheap bladed screwdrivers and grinding a notch in the blade of each which helped significantly.
Its one of those jobs that having finally cracked it you are tempted to put it back on and do it again just to relive the satisfaction.

Old Tony, it will not budge. I have tried everything, I can get it to lift off the steering wheel as if it is almost ready to come off, but won't release. I have put pressure (both gentle and hard, rocked the screwdriver, even got the screwdriver into position, lifting the airbag up gave it several shart taps with a hammer, bastard won't release. I am going to enlarge the hole to try and see if there is some obstructing. Do you think that it is possible to drill out the spring if it doesn't release?

No, the spring (in my 2009 model) is shaped like a U with dog-legs in it so it won't be an easy thing to drill it out. You're about 4 hours drive/ride from me, so I kinna help ye personally. It might be easier to take it to a local mechanic and ask them to pop it loose for you.

Old Tony, got the bastard off. I turned the steering wheel to half lock and could visually see the clip. Going from under I thought that the clip was going to be further up into the steering column. Might be a good suggestion in the future, so that's others don't make the same mistake as me. Also what about 'Malaysian' models, do you know anything about that?
Cheers,
Cuda.

I'll try to remember that. It's important, though, to return the steering wheel to "straight" and ensure the wheels are straight before you remove the clock spring or replace it. Part of my reassembly process is to undo the clip on the new clock spring and lightly turn the inside counting the turns - that way I know it's been assembled and set correctly. I had purchased one that was supposedly set correctly and it tore the ribbon out the first time I went around a corner - so now I check!

I don't know that there'd be a lot of difference with the Thai builds.

+1 on turning the steering wheel to where you can see the clip, 90 degrees left. I ended up doing this. turning it back to straight when the airbag is off is easy enough.

Latest posts

Back