Alternative 'Rival' bumper instead of bull bar... Opinons? Experiences?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpash

Reaction score
Hi all.

I'm considering this bumper, manufactured by '"Rival', instead of a classic bull bar. I'd welcome any opinions/experiences on this. How useful or lacking might this be for off roading given that the headlamps aren't encircled by 'rings of steel'?! The sales outlet is immaterial, and I'm only using it to illustrate the bumper. All input will be welcomed. Thanks.

Rival - Nissan Navara - Front Bumper - no LED

That looks pretty neat.

I think the "full" bullbar on my car has saved us from significant damage. We have done a fair amount of outback touring, and had the misfortune of having impacts with wildlife on several occasions, from snakes and lizards to birds, rabbits and kangaroos.

The ones that did the most damage: ducks and roos. I'd imagine that England or Europe would see similar with deer - although deer will stupidly freeze in headlights, that's at least a predictable behaviour which our kangaroos are unfortunately not capable of.

Without the loops, the roos would have destroyed headlights and the grille. I've got a little damage from a duck that was flying in a curve towards us but must have been looking the other way until too late, and we were doing 100km/h ... let's just say there wasn't a lot left other than feathers afterwards.

If you've no issue with hitting the larger animals, that bar really does look nice.

Hi all.

I'm considering this bumper, manufactured by '"Rival', instead of a classic bull bar. I'd welcome any opinions/experiences on this. How useful or lacking might this be for off roading given that the headlamps aren't encircled by 'rings of steel'?! The sales outlet is immaterial, and I'm only using it to illustrate the bumper. All input will be welcomed. Thanks.

Rival - Nissan Navara - Front Bumper - no LED
I spent much of my civil engineering career on remote construction and mining projects in outback Australia.

Our work vehicles were mostly 4wd Landcruisers ... tray backs for the Fitter/Mechanics, troop carriers for Supervisors and Prado/200 Series for Engineers and Management. Hitting kangaroos/emus and livestock was a weekly event on some projects.

We tried alloy bull bars but found they're just not as strong as steel or as easy to repair. A steel bull bar could usually be repaired in the site workshop. They can be straightened and welded more easily than alloy with standard site workshop equipment. They're easy to modify if a bracket is required for something like an aerial, extra lights or visibility flag. You can weld things to a steel bull bar easily.

We ended up only specifying steel bull bars when purchasing site vehicles.

Something for consideration depending on your environment and potential animal strike targets.

Hi Tony. Thanks for responding. While I like a pretty add-on as much as the next man (or woman) I'm really thinking along the lines of functionality. Remember that the Missus and I are intending to travel Australia for at least 6 months, travelling routes that would be usually disallowed by the Aus vehicle hire firms. I'm aware that bull bars are illegal here in the UK, but a necessity for off-roading in Aus. I suspect on reflection that this is more of a (very nice) cosmetic item, with a winch mounting facility, but it doesn't protect the grill or headlights which are still left unprotected and vulnerable.
I chatted with a man while we were both fuelling up at Hall's Creek, when the Missus and I did a month's Darwin to Perth trip, and I quizzed him on his extremely robust vehicle and trailer. We were in a camper and interested in 'real' off-road setups and he said that his worst animal strike was with a small 'roo which broke a steering rod! I'm definitely tending to the notion that I'll get a 'proper' bull bar, and other work done, when we arrive in Sydney in February of 2023.

I spent much of my civil engineering career on remote construction and mining projects in outback Australia.

Our work vehicles were mostly 4wd Landcruisers ... tray backs for the Fitter/Mechanics, troop carriers for Supervisors and Prado/200 Series for Engineers and Management. Hitting kangaroos/emus and livestock was a weekly event on some projects.

We tried alloy bull bars but found they're just not as strong as steel or as easy to repair. A steel bull bar could usually be repaired in the site workshop. They can be straightened and welded more easily than alloy with standard site workshop equipment. They're easy to modify if a bracket is required for something like an aerial, extra lights or visibility flag. You can weld things to a steel bull bar easily.

We ended up only specifying steel bull bars when purchasing site vehicles.

Something for consideration depending on your environment and potential animal strike targets.
Hi Scott. Many thanks for the input. As I've just said to Old.Tony I am thinking that this bumper isn't really suited to the Aus off-road conditions due to the lack of protection for the grill and lights. Bull bars are not road-legal here in the UK so I'll get them mounted, as per your advice and experience, on our arrival in Sydney along with some other necessary works (radio, aerial, recovery points, lights, epirb) that are more available and comparatively less expensive in Aus rather than here in the UK. I'll have to research a decent off-road garage/mechanic/supplier in the Sydney area and have my ducks in a row in advance of our arrival rather than starting the process only when we arrive, losing possibly weeks of travelling time.
If you've any further thoughts, info, or recommendations, they'll all be very welcome!
Thanks again.

Last edited:
Hi Tony. Thanks for responding. While I like a pretty add-on as much as the next man (or woman) I'm really thinking along the lines of functionality. Remember that the Missus and I are intending to travel Australia for at least 6 months, travelling routes that would be usually disallowed by the Aus vehicle hire firms. I'm aware that bull bars are illegal here in the UK, but a necessity for off-roading in Aus. I suspect on reflection that this is more of a (very nice) cosmetic item, with a winch mounting facility, but it doesn't protect the grill or headlights which are still left unprotected and vulnerable.
I chatted with a man while we were both fuelling up at Hall's Creek, when the Missus and I did a month's Darwin to Perth trip, and I quizzed him on his extremely robust vehicle and trailer. We were in a camper and interested in 'real' off-road setups and he said that his worst animal strike was with a small 'roo which broke a steering rod! I'm definitely tending to the notion that I'll get a 'proper' bull bar, and other work done, when we arrive in Sydney in February of 2023.

You will probably be happier in the end, but in relation to the underbody protection there's some already on the car, but a visit to ARB for some improved protection would be a good idea, particularly if you're going to go on some of the rougher stuff.

Happily, the AT32 Off Roader already has steel underbody 'armour' protecting the engine, transmission, and fuel tank as well as being raised an extra 10cms (4 inches) over the factory standard Navara ground clearance. I definitely think I'll get a bull bar fitted on arrival in Aus. On another Navara forum I was kindly pointed in the direction of a 'bespoke' bull bar manufactured in Poland and available to the UK, but the maker specifies it's '...not approved' meaning it's illegal for road use here. It's a good looking item, but I can't use it.
FRONT STEEL BUMPER WINCH for NISSAN NAVARA D23 with bullbar 2014+ | eBay

If it's not approved then they may not have gone through airbag compliance testing, which means you might not fair as well in a large impact (which of course we hope doesn't happen!).

Commercial bars sold in Australia will have a compliance certificate on them.

Happily, the AT32 Off Roader already has steel underbody 'armour' protecting the engine, transmission, and fuel tank as well as being raised an extra 10cms (4 inches) over the factory standard Navara ground clearance. I definitely think I'll get a bull bar fitted on arrival in Aus. On another Navara forum I was kindly pointed in the direction of a 'bespoke' bull bar manufactured in Poland and available to the UK, but the maker specifies it's '...not approved' meaning it's illegal for road use here. It's a good looking item, but I can't use it.
FRONT STEEL BUMPER WINCH for NISSAN NAVARA D23 with bullbar 2014+ | eBay

It appears you've got the under body protection and suspension required so don't go overboard as you won't need a tank in outback Australia! You don't want to exceed the GVM if you plan to do the more serious off road adventures like the Canning Stock Route. There are plenty of broken in half 4wd's on the CSR and Simpson Desert crossing.

Further to my post above we generally used ARB bull bars on our site Landcruisers but any of the known suppliers like TJM, Ironman etc are fully compliant and quality accessories. It will come down to looks, price and availability. I think it would be better to have one fitted once you arrive because you'll know it's air bag compatible and made for our conditions.

Get a good set of driving lights on your bull bar and upgrade your headlight bulbs if required so you have reasonable low beam. I had to change my H4 bulbs to a higher brightness LED as the contrast from high beam with two 9" LED driving lights to low beam was like turning the lights off! I found it dangerous. I use the Kings 9" lights as they're great value for what you get. They're cheap enough you can carry a spare (about $55 ea.). I've never felt comfortable having over a $1000 of lights hanging off the bull bar when they're so easily damaged or stolen. A week ago I did a comparison test with a friends new Landcruiser. He has a set of ARB 9" Solis driving lights that cost over a $1000. We couldn't tell the difference when compared head to head with my $110 pair of 9" Domin8r Xtreme's.

I've got a set of these and they're great for what you pay. We did a test and confirmed you could actually a read a newspaper at 1000m as the advertising blurb suggests.
https://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/pr...84m-19-796-lumens-fitted-with-osram-leds.html
and a set of these H4 bulbs which are also good value for money.
https://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/products/led-head-light-kit/h4-led-replacement-headlight-kit.html
I never plan to drive at night in the Outback as that's generally when you hit animals. However things change and can interrupt your schedule causing you have to drive after dark ... it's best to be prepared as life is never fully predictable.

Thanks for this very solid advice! On our original trip we were advised to avoid driving from one hour before sunset until one hour after sunrise and only once did we buck the 'rule' and then we crept along at about 30k's for about 3 hours to Exmouth. The only wildlife we saw were 'roos drawn into the town itself by the grass which was being watered!
Regarding the GVM, we're being very conscious of weight... I'll not be fitting a winch for a start, though I do have recovery straps, rated shackles, UHMWPE spliced eye rope (12mm, 13500kg), snatch ring, but no snatch strap. I know that if I need a pull I shouldn't expect the other party to use their equipment. AFN, a Portuguese manufacturer, do a very competent looking bull bar for the Navara which is also to be found in Aus and is compliant with air bags and sensors. I'll have to make enquiries with Sydney-based garages/outfitters well in advance of our arrival.
We now have a 50kg roof top tent and a 25kg side awning (Note to self: change profile pic.). The rear seats have been removed and one of a pair of leisure batteries and a fridge freezer are in their place. I'm calculating the weights as I go along and will eventually come to a total. I'm still compiling the list of necessaries and then the nice-to-haves, water being a big necessity. Fishing and photography gear are necessities also! I definitely want additional light, and a radio, and I'll go with your price conscious advice on that. I don't fancy paying a thousand of any currency for lights!
Many thanks for the tips and links. It's all being appreciated and saved as a pdf. Keep it coming please!
Cheers.

There is a misconception (IMO) about needing a bull bar to go "off road" in Aus. Then again there can be great differences in what people consider "off road", but generally I haven't seen much that I would really consider "off road" conditions in outback/central Aus. Apart from a few sand areas or well known desert crossings. It's generally rough corrugated tracks on a baron landscape as flat as a pancake. The large distances can make the (sometimes extreme) corrugated sections seem relentless though lol. On the "iconic" type tracks I don't remember ever needing to change out of 2wd, though some extra clearance is useful.

I consider "off road" conditions as actually requiring 4wd be engaged to get through them, and therefore it's usually low speed stuff. A bull bar might give some extra clearance angle at the front (depending on type) but apart from having somewhere to mount things like aerials, lights (or sand flags) has no other practical "off road" use IMO. It's generally needed more at higher speeds on country/outback roads to give protection from critters while driving to your "off road" destination, more so than when you actually get there. That's why you will see a lot of 2wd utes with bull bars out in the back blocks. So the bumper your looking at will be ok (looks good!) but I'm not sure would have any practical use in those conditions.

My preference (which many will disagree with lol) is for an alloy front bull bar. The problem is getting a winch compatible one. This could change if I regularly drove in outback conditions though. The couple of big 'roos I have cleaned up were on windy dirt roads with an alloy bull bar and there was enough give that on both occasions they got up and shook themselves before taking off. Only needed to readjust the driving lights. While a rigid steel bull bar might might be more useful for critter strikes and for low speed impacts, the safety aspect in other ways and for traffic accidents is iffy IMO.

With under body protection, I really think a lot of people over do it. At least I've only ever had the standard factory protection (which amounts to a bash plate under radiator area and under fuel tank). In remote areas with heavily corrugated tracks or lots of rough sand hills to navigate (Simpson for eg.) weight is your enemy. I think that good tyres (with an extra spare) and being as light as possible is best. You'll be carrying extra spares, food, lots of water and spare fuel so if you're heavy with nic-nacs to begin with, it adds up quickly. Apart from some lift, staying as close (and light) to factory as possible is the way to go for outback travel IMO.

With the cheap v expensive driving lights the differences aren't enough to justify the extra cost of the more expensive ones IMO. The cheap ones rarely match the claimed output (though this probably doesn't matter in any practical sense) and the led's are usually higher colour temperature (a blueish tint) rather than brilliant white. I had expensive driving lights, but when I needed a replacement lens retainer ring (that rusted out), found I could get a set of led ones off fleabay for about half the price of the part. So I bought them and they've been excellent. Good idea to get measurements of the lights before you buy them, to make sure they fit physically. No use buying the biggest set and finding they hit the top of the bull bar and can't be fitted properly.

With changing your lights to led's, if you drive in built up areas regularly you're likely to get defected unless they are adr compliant or your car is designed for them. Not to mention they can be great for you, but a pita and dangerous for traffic in the opposite direction.

Last edited:
Hi Horatius. Thanks for that. I like your rationale. It stands to reason that the more destructive animal strikes will be on the faster tarred roads than when driving in slow difficult conditions, which one would be ill-advised to be doing in darkness anyway. I fondly remember stopping, on the main Darwin to Perth Road, to let a family group of emus cross, and again for a group of dingos. Had we been travelling in the dark the outcomes might have very different to "Awww... how cute are they?!"
I'll not be changing out my existing headlights, but that's not to say I won't be getting additional lights for when necessity forces movement after dark. As I intend to get a bull bar fitted on arrival in Aus I'll make sure that I simultaneously get appropriate lights that fit. I'll check with the garage to ensure that all my lighting's compliant. Differences in national regulations can be a bit of a minefield. If we wish to travel in France then we'd have to put stick-on lenses/beam deflectors onto our headlamps to change them to right hand drive mode!
Many thanks for your advice, Horatius, it'll be very useful to us. And if you think of any other useful stuff you think we should know then please don't hesitate to let me know! Cheers.

Latest posts

Back