Air Con compressor

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruceiow

Reaction score
Hi all, trying desperately to get my aircon working...

So I had it gassed a couple of weeks ago and within a day or two I could see the dye on the condenser and loads around the dryer. I changed the condenser and dryer and took it for a leak test which came back fine - no leaks now.

The tester reckoned that the condenser isn't getting voltage & the clutch isn't engaging. Are these things known for eating their compressors? I'm going to go pick it up in a bit and so if I can figure it out myself as they didnt want to touch it...

Would I expect to see compressor run for a couple of seconds after the AC button is pressed even if the pressure in the system is low or does it have a sensor that blocks it from firing up?

have some one activate the air conditioner for you ,stand near compressor, if you cant hear the clutch engaging then disconnect the clutch wire . with a joiner wire bring it out to where you can safely put power to it while the engine is running, you will hear clutch comming on feel if cold air happening,

Ok, my drive is 2010 550 TI Pathfinder, so the following is relevant to my vehicle, not sure if it will cover other models.
Depending on the sophistication of your aircon install

There is a module for controlling power distribution, IPDU (intelligent). It has built in test facilities.
Power for the aircon clutch comes from this module.
Self test of the IPDU involves the following:
All vehicle doors closed except drivers door.
Bonnet closed, wipers lifted from windscreen.
Ignition to on (engine off).
After turning ignition on immediately operate the drivers door light activating switch 10 times
The low oil warning light will flash, the horn will sound & the following will occur (not sure of the order).
Wipers operate in high & low.
Headlights operate high & low beam.
Aircon clutch will receive power, you should hear the clutch activate (I think a few times).

Test sequence will repeat until ignition is turned off.

If you do not hear the aircon clutch engage, check the aircon fuse within the IPDU module.

If the fuse is good, to test wiring from IPDU to clutch, disconnect the aircon clutch single wire, connect a voltmeter to the car side removed wire & repeat the IPDU self test, intermittent power should be read as the test is running.

A secondary test of the clutch (with engine not running is to run a jumper wire from the battery positive & touch the removed car side clutch wire, again it should pull in with a clunk.

If the clutch does not operate with any of the above, the clutch coil may be burnt out.
Can you rotate the compressor side of the clutch?
There is a fuseable link within the clutch assy, it is not replaceable but can be bypassed with a piece of jumper wire. The clutch will have to be removed from the compressor.
If the link has fused, why?

High & low pressure switches can be bypassed for trouble isolation.

Latest posts

Back