550 replacement exhaust?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomR

Reaction score
I know many 550 owners have replace their exhausts with a 3 inch system, but I cannot get first had feedback. Maybe some on this forum has changed their exhaust?

I replaced mine with a turbo back system that has a hiflow cat, no DPF, and a muffler.

I think there’s a Legend branded one but mine was from an exhaust shop on the Sunshine Coast.

It’s a tricky/fiddly job (like the catch can you have to pull half the stuff off the motor to get to the turbo) and it’s technically not a full 3” because there is kink required in the dump pipe.

I have to admit that I was hoping for a bit more turbo whistle (something obnoxious 😄) and it’s a bit louder. There was an improved exhaust note overall.

The real magic happens when you pair it up with a snorkel and get a dyno tune. I’m now making (177kw +37) and 570Nm at the wheels (+90).

Either way, it’s absolutely worth doing.

Damo

Thanks Damo, my 550 is at 160,000km. Still runs well, but I think the middle muffler is starting to clog up. From my reading the dump pipe construction is the most difficult. The after market systems separate the Cat from the Dump pipe which maybe a good idea. I also see Dump clearance is difficult. It needs good clearance because of the heat. Good to hear the 3 inch system improves performance. I checked the legal requirements in Victoria, which are very broad. Basically less then 20% power gain, maintain all the original sensors and Cat and its legal.

Last edited:
I think there’s also a bit of a grey area with the DPF in the 2011/2012 models (mine has 130k) as these were basically passive systems that weren’t plumbed in. They are also easily 30kg of cast iron. I think as long as you keep the cat then you’re legit.

if you search kuluin exhaust on YouTube you’ll see the system I picked up but I know there are other ones around.

B416372C-B072-43EB-83C7-D01FC13C232C.jpeg

Latest posts

Back