4wd light on dash

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dazza63

Reaction score
I got the 4x4 sorted out but i noticed when I turn key on that an orange 4wd light comes on is this supposed to be on when engaged in 4x4 I think yes but mine doesnt only when you turn ignition on initially again thanks for any help..

Oh ok thanks for clearing that up I was thinking that it must be on constantly when your engaged in 4x4 so thanks so much for the info greatly appreciated downloaded and reading thanks Scott truly appreciate the help

I got the 4x4 sorted out but i noticed when I turn key on that an orange 4wd light comes on is this supposed to be on when engaged in 4x4 I think yes but mine doesnt only when you turn ignition on initially again thanks for any help..
Hi Dazza63. What was the issue with your 4WD and how did you fix it? Ive got a 4Lo issue Im still trying to sort out. (08 Spanish STX)

Oh ok thanks for clearing that up I was thinking that it must be on constantly when your engaged in 4x4 so thanks so much for the info greatly appreciated downloaded and reading thanks Scott truly appreciate the help
Your welcome. The little graphic on the dash changes to display whether you're in 2 high, 4 high or 4 low.

There's a potentially dangerous feature with the 4wd system on these vehicles which must be recognised if you venture into remote areas.

If you damage a wheel speed sensor so that the signal isn't generated or is compromised the vehicle is locked out of 4wd. This is a feature designed to protect the drive line because the control unit thinks there's too big a variance in wheel speeds front to rear. The Nissan Engineers in their wisdom have taken vital decision making away from the driver. You don't remove 4wd from a vehicle with no knowledge of where the vehicle is and what the circumstances are causing the wheel speed variance.

I dodged a bullet last year when I hit a roo near Georgia Bore on the Canning Stock Route. The roo went under the vehicle and ripped the wire out of the LH rear wheel speed sensor. It was fortunate I wasn't in 4wd only terrain at the time and was able to exit the area to safety in 2WD. If the sensor had been ripped out when I was on the track requiring 4wd I'd have been stranded and could have perished.

I've since purchased a set of rear sensors and keep them in my spares box. I've also made protective covers for the rear sensors as they're very exposed. The fronts are unlikely to be damaged on the track as they're not too vulnerable.

Hey thats a shit of an idea I have 2 D22's that have the ABS light on so presume it's not working but luckily it appears the D22's don't have the problem of inhibiting 4WD, I think if they were I would be looking for the wiring interlock and bypassing it, as you say could be a real problem in some situations.
I am happy not to even have the ABS but had an issue for roadworthy so need to do a temporary bypass there too.

Hey thats a shit of an idea I have 2 D22's that have the ABS light on so presume it's not working but luckily it appears the D22's don't have the problem of inhibiting 4WD, I think if they were I would be looking for the wiring interlock and bypassing it, as you say could be a real problem in some situations.
I am happy not to even have the ABS but had an issue for roadworthy so need to do a temporary bypass there too.
I understand the D22 has the manual lever to engage 4H and 4Lo. The old style manual lever is a better method as the driver decides if 4wd is still usable.

Your welcome. The little graphic on the dash changes to display whether you're in 2 high, 4 high or 4 low.

There's a potentially dangerous feature with the 4wd system on these vehicles which must be recognised if you venture into remote areas.

If you damage a wheel speed sensor so that the signal isn't generated or is compromised the vehicle is locked out of 4wd. This is a feature designed to protect the drive line because the control unit thinks there's too big a variance in wheel speeds front to rear. The Nissan Engineers in their wisdom have taken vital decision making away from the driver. You don't remove 4wd from a vehicle with no knowledge of where the vehicle is and what the circumstances are causing the wheel speed variance.

I dodged a bullet last year when I hit a roo near Georgia Bore on the Canning Stock Route. The roo went under the vehicle and ripped the wire out of the LH rear wheel speed sensor. It was fortunate I wasn't in 4wd only terrain at the time and was able to exit the area to safety in 2WD. If the sensor had been ripped out when I was on the track requiring 4wd I'd have been stranded and could have perished.

I've since purchased a set of rear sensors and keep them in my spares box. I've also made protective covers for the rear sensors as they're very exposed. The fronts are unlikely to be damaged on the track as they're not too vulnerable.
Thanks for the tips good idea to get the spares and carry a mongrel you have to but the alternative is worse...

Nath77 all I know was it was a broken wire somewhere I asked exactly what but they couldnt tell me as they sourced the job out to where I took it sorry. But im guessing you have checked the switches on gear box there are x3 of them I replaced all of them but didnt fix it. They can be expensive. I think there is a vac line runs from actuator on back of gearbox that engages 4x4 might be off or cracked Im just throwing out odeas that I have found out about and tried. Hope you get it sorted.. I had no 4x4 at all the little car lit up the wheels on the dash saying I was engaged but not in 4x4 at all I thought it was till I got it fixed then I knew it was. There was no LO under that when you put it in lo range but now there is thankfully. Mine same machine as yours 08 Spanish built STX.

Last edited:
I really prefer the old school lever in lever out you know
, but all this electrical and vacuum engaging too much stuff to go wrong this is the first high tech machine I have had all the rest have been old school no dramas. Atleast we have to info and help from us all on here so Im sure between us we can just about sort anything out.

Thanks for the info! I've been considering buying an R51. Do you know if it has the same system as the D40? I might have to have a look on the Pathfinder forum, because that would be a deal breaker for me.

Im not sure if they are the same I would expect so but worth a try to look anywhere for info I hope you do get it sorted out soon good luck mate .. Sorry I dont know more.

I really prefer the old school lever in lever out you know
, but all this electrical and vacuum engaging too much stuff to go wrong this is the first high tech machine I have had all the rest have been old school no dramas. Atleast we have to info and help from us all on here so Im sure between us we can just about sort anything out.
Same here bloke, I always said I wasn't going to get a common rail with the added problems and expensive fixes but here I am but the D22 is the pick of the later 4wd vehicles IMHO as even though they have plenty of sensors etc and an ECU they are still a basic real 4wd with good clearance even as standard and a proper front diff that you can lock or not depending on use, you can get down and dirty when hunting or bush bashing and panels and other bits except engines from 97-15 fit so cheap fixes.
If you have some room there are plenty of cheap wrecks around but not so with the others.
Grandson no3 bought a V8 cruiser now needs injectors thats 15k I picked some up out of a blown motor for nix.

Yes I much prefer the old school and I can do most of everything myself these new machines you need a degree in putting a shuttle into space its beyond me can still the basic things but yes the cost of things are ridiculous nowadays..

Actually it did cost me for the injectors to get them programmed but just a slab and I helped drink a couple.
Had this debate with a bloke at Burketown who was bragging about how his Suzuki outboard was much better than my older carbie Honda which was making oil but just kept changing and kept fishing (it was the thermostat) met up again and he had a sensor go which required a trip of 2000km to get it fixed which effectively ended his trip.
Had an ETEC on a trailer sailer and they are worse as if you break down in the Gulf you need to go to Darwin or the east coast as only a marine dealer can access their programme.
Met a bloke at Bedourie who had his vehicle and van towed in from 200klm's out and was then trucked into Mt Isa for a sensor a week later he was back on the road.
These modern cars definitely are better reliability and when near a dealer but if you are travelling into remote areas they can be a problem.
The Isuzu NPS 300 I had before the D22 was still basic but the newer common rails would be a problem but they don't break down:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back