4wd light coming on

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stusta6961

Reaction score
Hi all have a 2007 Spanish build D40 and the past two weeks the 4wd light comes on and stays on after I accelerate
I'm stumped as to why it's happening but when it does it seems to rev harder and takes longer changing gears and also chews more then normal fuel. With the price of diesel at the moment it's becoming a big issue for me and any help would be greatly appreciated cheers
Stuey

The 4WD light often indicates a problem with the ABS system and it's often the front wheel bearings causing the problem.

Try driving at a sedate pace through a level corner (to keep the engine quieter) and come back the other way. If there's a difference when one side gets loaded up more than the other, you probably have a wheel bearing that's coming apart. This is a common problem.

The 4WD light often indicates a problem with the ABS system and it's often the front wheel bearings causing the problem.

Try driving at a sedate pace through a level corner (to keep the engine quieter) and come back the other way. If there's a difference when one side gets loaded up more than the other, you probably have a wheel bearing that's coming apart. This is a common problem.
100% notice it's when I accelerate harshly or turn to the right
Inspection of my break disks show cracks all through them
Does the old jack the front up and wiggle the wheel work to check the bearings

The wiggle should work, I just notice it by listening to the wheels as the car goes around corners. If you're noticing it on a right hand turn, check your left front bearing.

After having another good look I can hear something from the left side but I don't need to be turning the wheel for it to come on
I can be going straight and put my foot down and it goes straight into 4wd
There is a oil leak from the rocker cover but it's been like that for months with no problems
If I really slowly take off once it changes into second or third I can drive normally and it doesn't come on untill I drop back to nearly a stop and accelerate again

The wiggle should work, I just notice it by listening to the wheels as the car goes around corners. If you're noticing it on a right hand turn, check your left front bearing.
Hi old Tony
Would a exhaust manifold leak also cause this issue have a squeal coming from the car that sounds like a old teapot really heavy on fuel and gets hot under acceleration??
My thoughts a manifold but not 100% is there a easy way to tell

I had a leak between the exhaust manifold and the turbocharger - the gasket had thinned out and acted like a reed, making the thing sound like a poorly played clarinet.

Look for black powdery or sooty marks around the place, that'll be the leak.

Back