!2v Socket in tub

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dazza63

Reaction score
I want to connect the 12v plug in my tray to the accessories for a dash cam I have mounted in the back on canopy glass at the moment it is powered all the time but I cant find where it is connected to power under bonnet or the dash. Any ideas gratefully received. I am not sure if it is factory or after market.
Thanks

Typically we don't have power in the tub (older models, not sure about 2015 onwards). The electrical connections usually run up near the left hand tail light (two 10mm bolts can be undone after dropping the tail gate and remove the light assembly). Yours might not be the same.

What you might consider doing is introducing a new wire (just one, it doesn't even need to be heavily rated) to the run into the tub to provide you with "accessories on" power.

If you pop the little tray at the top of the dash above the centre console you'll be able to access the two screws that hold the facia panel in place. Pull this forward and if necessary, unscrew the 4 screws that hold the stereo unit in place. Look for the red wire in the stereo wiring harness and test it for positive power when the accessories come on (mine works like this, but I am using an aftermarket head unit with ISO plugs). There's a yellow wire as well, but it should be "constant power", the red wire should only be active when the ignition key is turned to "ACC" or "ON".

Tap into this wire, and use a small fuse (1A would be more than enough) and run a cable through the firewall, down under the car and up into the tub. There's a channel in the front corner of the tub if you want to use it, but be aware that there's a sharp lip at the top which will chafe the wires (that's what the fuse is for). This wire will come on only when ACC is on, but you shouldn't draw much power from it.

However, you can connect this wire to pin 85 of a 12V relay. Connect pin 86 to the body (tub) or the negative of your 12V supply back there. Then, connect pin 30 to the positive of your 12V supply and pin 87 to your camera.

I ran my power line into the tub up behind the left taillight.
But if you have a canopy with a light, there's already power there to pinch from....

Thank you guys for the info sounds like a weekend job Ill get into it this weekend thanks for all ideas gratefully accepted I appreciate all the help.

If you are going to run a seperate positive to the back can I suggest a heavier one either 6mm auto or better 6b&s so if needed at any time later it can be used for spare battery, trailer, fridge etc etc.
Old Tony I may be wrong but think that red wire is a low power source which on some double din units is only used as a trigger the yellow comes from the fuse box near the battery and fuse is labelled audio
I usually just run a fused/cb supply from the battery through a relay switched by any accessory source and if it needs to overridden have switch across relay load terminals.

Latest posts

Back