2nd battery

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have several choices. Obviously not in the engine bay, unless you remove the air filter box and put a K&N pod filter on the front of the turbocharger, saving TONS of space! Actually, do NOT do that, the air box helps remove moisture from the incoming air stream and the pipe heading out of it contains the MAFS which measures the amount of air moving through.

So, your choices are in or under the tub. In obviously takes up space but if you build a box over a wheel arch you'll minimise the room taken (this is what I've done). I've also seen people put the battery and charging gear up against the front wall of the tub, effectively shortening the tub by a small amount, but it looked really neat.

Under the tub means you have to use a sturdy cradle that can withstand the pounding of 40kg of lead when moving (and if your roads are not in the best shape, factor in a little extra protection). You would also need to seal the battery terminals once you've done them up (they sell a sealer for this purpose, just spray it on and let it set).

Thanks, Old Tony,
I have looked under the tub and like that option as my tub gets a lot of action inside.
I have a relatively small battery as all I want it for is running my fridge, the issue then will be getting an AC/DC thingy
so my alternator will charge both batteries.

Cheers, Pete.

Run some heavy (8Ga or better) cables from the starter battery back to where you will put the DC-DC charger. Most DC-DC chargers have an internal switch that shuts the charger off if the incoming voltage is too low (that is, the alternator isn't providing enough power) so you don't need to invest in a VSR or a relay that disconnects the system when the ignition is off.

The heavy cables reduce the amount of voltage drop (which is wasted power) and allow a decent amount of current through without heating up the cables. The same type of cable can be used to run the power into the tub. It's advisable to use an appropriate fuse between the cable and the battery it's connected to (so, say a 35A fuse on the starter battery, and a 10A fuse on the auxiliary).

I want to fit a 2nd battery to my 2013 stx 450, does anybody have any suggestions?
Hi Pete
These cradles are made for D40 very solid, I have a new one here but too heavy to send anywhere. Just Google.

Attachments

• 7BT.jpg
    7BT.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 19
If your going under the tray. Which in your case is good way to go, consider a AGM slimline Battery. That way you can lay it on it's side. It will tuck up under there very neatly.

As for charging DC-> DC charger is the go. Basically it's like a garden variety battery charger but instead of having a 3 pin plug one end it connects to you trucks electrical system. Both start and Auxiliary battery will charge and power can not flow back through the charger.

Back