265/75R16 will it mess up speedo ?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DDgone

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Working at a tyre place at the moment and got a free Set of 265/75/16 in Mickey Thompson MTZ about 25-30% Tread Left for free, and i mounted them to a set of Free GU Patrol Steel Rims i got from a mate who had them on a 1998 Model Patrol. The thing sits higher and looks much tougher.

Will It stuff up my Speedo much ? Previously on the 245/70/16 Pirellie's i got fitted 98% tread left the speed was 3KM to Slow when i was doing 80KMH on speedo it was actually doing 83KMH.

Need Help ASAP.

Thanks in advace

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. Put mine out by 5kms under actual speed. Eg. When sitting on 100kmh going by the speedo, will be doing an actual speed of 105kmh. I've used a TomTom gps, Navfree app, some speedo app and a freeway speed check point.

Strange about your 245/70 R16s. Last tyres i had were 265/70 R16s and the speedo was bang on accurate, using TomTom and freeway speed check.

Last edited:
The most important thing to remember is that your speedo is NOT reliable. It's just a needle, showing how much an electromagnet is pushing against a spring. It is NOT accurate!

Use a GPS, and rely on it MOST of the time. Among tall buildings, during heavy weather, or during local military manoeuvres, your GPS may be less accurate.

With 265 75 r16's on my speedo says 100 and my gps says 103 so I'm going 3% faster than my speedo says I am. I drive 5 km under the posted limit to be sure I'm not pinged.

Complete opposite to everyone here, my speedo will read 100km/h when according to the GPS I'm only doing about 93km/h. Works well in my favour.

Cheers Brad

285/75/16 have me reading at 100 when speedo is about 97 so would of thought 265's would bring it about perfect. Maybe depends year of car mine is 2013.

Well according to a Speed thing i downloaded to my phone, my speedo is 10km Out, so when the speedo reads 90 i am actually doing 100km/h.

Do you think i should try to get a GPS to work it out ?

Well according to a Speed thing i downloaded to my phone, my speedo is 10km Out, so when the speedo reads 90 i am actually doing 100km/h.

As Old Tony said, a GPS is something to rely on most of the time.

If you can't spare the funds/don't want one you could borrow one and work out the difference between actual speed and speedo. Navfree is a free GPS app you could use. And if you know of a speed check point on a freeway near you, use the GPS/app to sit on 100 then reference it to the speed check for piece of mind.

I did all that and now I just know that looking at the speedo I have to sit 5kmh under the limit to stay legal. It's such a habit now that when I drive the mrs car I do it too and that is 5kmh slower than the speedo reading so I actually piss people off doing 15kmh under the limit and realise this when I see frustrated glares in the rear view.

I have a head unit that has intergrated iphone touch display and use this as GPS so it isn't practical to be looking down at the screen to check speed.

It's up to you which way you go about it.

Technically that makes your speedo illegal - it's not supposed to read below the speed you're actually doing. It is allowed to read higher like most of ours do - but never, ever under. Nissan are obliged to fix that if the car's under warranty - but you may have to be on standard tyres for them to accept it as a warranty item.

There are plenty of speed-related tools in the Android store. They'll all rely on the GPS in your phone and perform a calculation based on the change in lat/long as you're moving. I suppose the program developer's math ability also matters!

so has anyone figured out a easy solution to fixing the speedo yet. Mine is reading approx 5klms under and I'm on 265/75/16's which are standard for the 2005 d22 str td.
I changed the dash cluster and speed sender unit to fix a fault in the speedo getting stuck at 80 originally and faulty fuel gauge not reading properly. Using my son's gps so I don't get booked. Is there anyway to reset the needle on the speedometer to give it a correct reading (like taking off the needle and moving it like the old cable ones)? Since I have the old one I was thinking about pulling it apart and testing if it can be done. Just wasn't sure because it is electric(not a sparky)

Last edited:
My solution is to just do 5 kmh over the speed i want to be at haha

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

You'll find that while your speedo is out, your odometer is pretty close. Changing tyre size or using Jaycar's adjuster will throw the odometer out. The error is in the deflection of the speedo needle.

Your best solution is the one you're already using - most smartphones are actually accurate to around 1%, which makes them as good as police equipment.

I think you'll find the 2005 d22s came with 255/70r16s. That is why your speedo will be reading lower than the speed you are travelling. The only option you really have is that speedo corrector as mentioned above. Just set it up off a GPS speed reading. Your odometer will probably still be out slightly, but at least your speedo will be accurate

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. I went into nissan at nambour and spoke to them. 70 series tyres are what I should have on and the speedo will be spot on. So a little bit slower in klms till I buy a new set. My son gave me his gps (bought a better one lol). So no more speeding tickets hopefully. Big change from the old d21 I had.

Adjusting with one of those adjusters will affect your ODO.

I know mine is 10% out so i just use the GPS.

Latest posts

Back