2014 ST D40 Spain Diesel 2.5 Controls on steering wheel not working.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am wondering if anyone can help me. The controls on my steering wheel have all slowly stopped working.
Someone said that there's a plastic gizmo inside that has to be replaced but it involves unhooking the air bag which has to be
done by a professional. Sounds pricey.
I'm not flushed with funds. Has anyone any thoughts on this.
Thank you in advance.
Brett

It's a reasonably common problem. If you're reasonably competent with tools you can DIY.

The first time I did mine I was in a panic about setting off the airbag, so I made sure to disconnect the battery, discharge the rest of the power etc etc and then carefully remove it.

Turns out all you need to do is be careful.

BEFORE YOU START: make sure the steering wheel is STRAIGHT and the wheels are straight. Do not try this without ensuring this step is done, because you'll just rip the replacement on the first drive.

In mine - I can't say about the 2014 model but hopefully it's not too different - there's a hole underneath the steering wheel that you should just be able to spot a wire. If you push this wire directly towards the centreline of the steering shaft (at 90 degrees to the shaft) it will pop the airbag off. Here's a video showing how to do it - the guy doesn't do it perfectly, he shows the wire being levered away from the airbag, but it should be pushed towards the steering shaft. Take a look, it shows it all:

Then you just undo the steering wheel nut. If your steering wheel isn't marked as in the video, MAKE THE MARKS YOURSELF using a permanent marker. This is important, so the steering wheel goes back on correctly.

In the video, he refers to a "coupling" and warns not to turn it. That "coupling" is the clock spring which is the part you need to replace.

Ebay has two distinct types of clock spring. One - less expensive - is for left hand drive cars and has an "L" on the front face. The other - usually more expensive - is for right hand drive cars. You really need to pick the correct one, because if you don't, the indicators won't cancel in the way you're used to and you may need to manually turn them off in certain corners.

When you get the new clock spring, DO NOT TRUST that the person who assembled it has centred it properly. Hold the base steady, remove the plastic retainer, and while counting the revolutions, gently (do not force it at all) turn the centre to the left, you should get about 2.5 turns. Bring it back to centre, then gently turn it to the right, you should get a similar amount of turns. If that's the case, bring it back to centre (check as many times as you like, it's free) and replace the retainer clip so it doesn't move just yet.

If the number of turns each way are DIFFERENT, know that your steering wheel can do about 2 full turns each way from straight ahead, so if you bring the clock spring fully to the left, wind it slowly back to the right about 2 turns and then continue until it's straight, put the retainer in place and get ready to install it.

Hope that helps.

It's a reasonably common problem. If you're reasonably competent with tools you can DIY.

The first time I did mine I was in a panic about setting off the airbag, so I made sure to disconnect the battery, discharge the rest of the power etc etc and then carefully remove it.

Turns out all you need to do is be careful.

BEFORE YOU START: make sure the steering wheel is STRAIGHT and the wheels are straight. Do not try this without ensuring this step is done, because you'll just rip the replacement on the first drive.

In mine - I can't say about the 2014 model but hopefully it's not too different - there's a hole underneath the steering wheel that you should just be able to spot a wire. If you push this wire directly towards the centreline of the steering shaft (at 90 degrees to the shaft) it will pop the airbag off. Here's a video showing how to do it - the guy doesn't do it perfectly, he shows the wire being levered away from the airbag, but it should be pushed towards the steering shaft. Take a look, it shows it all:

Then you just undo the steering wheel nut. If your steering wheel isn't marked as in the video, MAKE THE MARKS YOURSELF using a permanent marker. This is important, so the steering wheel goes back on correctly.

In the video, he refers to a "coupling" and warns not to turn it. That "coupling" is the clock spring which is the part you need to replace.

Ebay has two distinct types of clock spring. One - less expensive - is for left hand drive cars and has an "L" on the front face. The other - usually more expensive - is for right hand drive cars. You really need to pick the correct one, because if you don't, the indicators won't cancel in the way you're used to and you may need to manually turn them off in certain corners.

When you get the new clock spring, DO NOT TRUST that the person who assembled it has centred it properly. Hold the base steady, remove the plastic retainer, and while counting the revolutions, gently (do not force it at all) turn the centre to the left, you should get about 2.5 turns. Bring it back to centre, then gently turn it to the right, you should get a similar amount of turns. If that's the case, bring it back to centre (check as many times as you like, it's free) and replace the retainer clip so it doesn't move just yet.

If the number of turns each way are DIFFERENT, know that your steering wheel can do about 2 full turns each way from straight ahead, so if you bring the clock spring fully to the left, wind it slowly back to the right about 2 turns and then continue until it's straight, put the retainer in place and get ready to install it.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Tony, I can get the spring from clocksprings.com.au and if I disconnect the battery I shouldn’t end up with ptsd.
Thanks for your very precise instructions.
Brett

Latest posts

Back