2012 Navara D22 YD25 2.5lt Diesel

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjw

Reaction score
Need some help.
My Navara is blowing smelly white smoke and has top end ticking.
I have changed the belts,timing chain,sprockets and tensioner.
Blanked EGR.
Had the injectors serviced.
Had the head off.
Re seated valves and changed valve guides.
The old head gasket was in good condition.
Compression is a bit low on number one (290) but they are all in 300 mark.
Piston linings seemed to be in good condition.
And the car starts every time no problem.
The tick starts with one tick then nothing then two as the engine runs more the closer the ticks become until consistent.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Doesn't sound good, but I see you haven't mentioned checking oil pressure. If you haven't, I'd start with this as ticking from the top end would indicate some sort of oil supply restriction. I haven't heard of any problems with the oil pump in these motors, but that doesn't mean it isn't on the way out. There is an oil pressure sensor located on the right side of the motor where the factory pressure switch is located.

White smoke is usually a sign of fuel that is completely unburnt. Had the same issue with my D40 when the DPF sensors shat themselves and the car tried to do a regen. You could smell the unburnt diesel in the exhaust, it was horrid. Also had the same problem with my old XJS Jaguar 5.3L V12, gave the injectors a good sonic clean (twice) and it was all good again.

So you might need to check a couple of things, but it sounds like overfuelling in a major way (minor overfuelling results in black smoke - partly burnt diesel). Is your turbo spooling up?

Hi Tony
Thanks for your reply. Firstly I had never thought to check the turbo which I will do this weekend as well as DPF sensors.
I will also do a scan as its been a while since I have done one.
What way are you leaning turbo or sensors?
The smoke stinks and is very thick.
Brad

D22s don't have dpfs. Could be a leaking injector possibly, did you replace them or remove and refit the same ones after reconditioning them? As far as I'm aware, the injectors need to be "coded" to the ECU. I guess it's possible that they haven't been fitted into the same cylinder they came out of, but would be worth looking into.

I'm not sure of any decent mechanics up joondalup area. The "oil good" just means the oil sensor in the sump is happy the motor has oil in it, it doesn't tell you oil pressure. How long since the fuel filter was replaced? What does the fuel rail pressure look like at idle? I guess you haven't got anything to scan engine codes or look at engine data?

Had the injectors checked out by Allied Diesel all good and all went back where they came from. It was smoking and ticking before they came out and was smoking and ticking after. Filter just replaced couple of months ago. It starts and runs ok just has smoke and tick.
I have to scan again and see if anything else comes up. Last time I did scan all good.

Latest posts

Back