2012 D40 auto slow to engage

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cycle

Reaction score
After braking to a halt quite suddenly the auto trans takes a long time to pick up 1st gear again, almost as if all of the transmission oil has been forced to the front of the gearbox and is slow to return. The oil level is correct and all other functions are ok. Any tips guys?

I'd certainly check the oil level. I'm not sure if the 2012 model is missing the dipstick measure or not.

In older models, the dip stick is actually a cap with a bolt securing it, you remove the bolt and draw the dip stick out, measure etc and replace.

In newer models, you have to heat the gearbox to 40C, then remove the fill plug under the gearbox and see how much oil trickles out. It should drip slowly. If not, add a small amount of oil at a time until it starts dripping then reinstall the plug.

As for automatic gearbox operation, slow gear selection could be a problem in the valve body, it could be a pressure problem with the pump in the turbine area, it could be a lack of oil or it could be contamination of the oil. Note that the automatic transmission oil cooler resides INSIDE the radiator and one of the first and best modifications you could make to your car is to add an oil cooler to the front of the air con condenser and connect this to the transmission oil lines. Don't forget to put a hose on the old radiator connections (just join the two together) to prevent coolant loss if the old transmission cooler is breached by the coolant.

Thanks Tony, yes mine hasn’t got a dipstick, I have recently changed the atf and double checked the level via your 2nd method. Mine already has an external trans cooler in front of the radiator so I think I will take your advice and join the lower radiator hoses together and just use the external cooler. I think maybe the pump or control valve might be faulty like you said. Under normal easy driving it doesn’t have a problem so I might just put up with it rather than overhauling the auto.

The only time I have the transmission slow to engage is on first starting the engine. It takes a few seconds to engage. After that its fine.

Back