2011 Nissan Navara D40 p1021 code turbo actuator location?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank Marker

Reaction score
Hi to all, Im new to the forum.
My Navara has been stood for a while due to ill health. I drive on very short distances every so often and had the engine management light come on.
I have a P1021 code TC BOOST CONT ACT and from what ive read it looks like it could be the actuator?
I noticed an arm connected to what looks like a vacuum valve actuator at the top of the engine near the heat shield. This does not seem to move at all when revving the engine.
Is this the turbo actuator?
I have loss of power etc
2011 2.5 D40 manual non dpf.
If not where is the actuator and how difficult is it to remove/replace. What is the vacuum arm etc at the top of the engine and could it be faulty or stuck too? Should I be looking at anything else?? Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance

Last edited:
I'd say you've found the actuator, there should be a small (3mm inside diameter) hose running from it to a "Boost Control Solenoid" (BCS) mounted on the hard pipe that leads to the intercooler at the front of the engine bay.

Being vacuum controlled, the actuator doesn't provide feedback to the ECM but the BCS may. The BCS is a common failure point. There are a couple options here:

1) Replace the BCS. You'd want to test it first, and the easiest way is to take the BCS out of the loop altogether (temporarily!) by connecting the vac hose that comes over the top of the engine directly to the turbo's actuator and drive the car. If power has been restored, the BCS is the culprit and needs to be replaced. If money's tight, consider one from a wreck (usually these aren't damaged in crashes and certainly aren't the cause of a crash). You can get them cheap on eBay too but I can't vouch for them (yet, I have one to play with, but haven't gotten around to it yet).

2) Install a Tillix or Dawes valve. This removes the ECU's control of the turbocharger and may not be to your liking, you do have to run the car with reduced normal boost so it doesn't overboost on you.

I'd say you've found the actuator, there should be a small (3mm inside diameter) hose running from it to a "Boost Control Solenoid" (BCS) mounted on the hard pipe that leads to the intercooler at the front of the engine bay.

Being vacuum controlled, the actuator doesn't provide feedback to the ECM but the BCS may. The BCS is a common failure point. There are a couple options here:

1) Replace the BCS. You'd want to test it first, and the easiest way is to take the BCS out of the loop altogether (temporarily!) by connecting the vac hose that comes over the top of the engine directly to the turbo's actuator and drive the car. If power has been restored, the BCS is the culprit and needs to be replaced. If money's tight, consider one from a wreck (usually these aren't damaged in crashes and certainly aren't the cause of a crash). You can get them cheap on eBay too but I can't vouch for them (yet, I have one to play with, but haven't gotten around to it yet).

2) Install a Tillix or Dawes valve. This removes the ECU's control of the turbocharger and may not be to your liking, you do have to run the car with reduced normal boost so it doesn't overboost on
Hi, had a good look and this has an electronic actuator. It is a Euro4 engine. The vacuum arm at the top of the engine is part of the EGR cooler. Mechanic looking at it tomorrow (managed to get hold of him) will update. many thanks for your help

Some of the electronic actuators were subject to a recall by Nissan, you might want to see if yours was needed and had been done.
Hi, all sorted out, it was just the connector to the turbo actuator, cleaned and re fitted, full turbo boost and power back to normal (fingers crossed).
thank you for the help and advice

Latest posts

Back