2011 D22 on 30 psi boost

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rezzynav

Reaction score
i’ve recently bought a 2011 d22 with 150 thousand on the clock. the bloke ive bought it from has done this thing up to the berries, which was my first mistake as there’s no list to what mods he’s done.

Pretty much everything looks custom, he’s added Elockers, front n back winches, turbo timer and a catch can, the list goes on.

my boost gauge only goes to 30 pound, and i’ve hit that a couple of times before on peak, but average she sits on 20-25 pound.

is this going to damage my engine?
looking at the engine it looks like it’s got a twin timing belt, and speaking to a mate he was saying navaras didn’t have twin timing belts until 2013 and onwards?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 47
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 52
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 49
Am new to the Turbo-Diesel game but have read around already that 20-25 PSI is normal from the 2.5lt D22 series

Am almost certain that irregular spurts to 30-PSI wont kill the engine but only an AFR gauge would tell you accurately.
Once the AFR gets too lean, then the engine can go "bang" but as long as the ECU drives the injectors & the injectors can flow the required fuel. Then 30-PSI won't kill the engine.

Coming from turbo rotaries....... The standard 13B / 20B engine can't handle 30-PSI as the OEM injectors lean out.
Perhaps some research into the D22 injector flow rates....?

30psi is a little high for a D22, the key ingredient in the performance game with these engines is the EGT - Exhaust Gas Temperature. See if they've fitted one of those.

Once the AFR gets too lean, then the engine can go "bang"
no.
otherwise it would go "bang" at idle (or whenever you take your foot off the gas) as thats where its the most lean. its a diesel not a petrol, they are basically opposite to each other.
high boost will not kill a diesel. lack of boost (rich afr) will most certainly kill it.

High boost was something seen in my daughter's d40 yd25 engine prior to losing all boost when the turbo siezed up. It did free up again while trying to diagnose the issue which really confused and complicated matters, but the vanes were definitely just beginning to scrape the housing when checked.

no.
otherwise it would go "bang" at idle (or whenever you take your foot off the gas) as thats where its the most lean. its a diesel not a petrol, they are basically opposite to each other.
high boost will not kill a diesel. lack of boost (rich afr) will most certainly kill it.

Thanks for posting that info (y)I never knew that, your post inspired me to read up on it :)

no use adding boost without adding fuel.....see Tony's post

and boost maybe just alot of hot air --no density

i’ve recently bought a 2011 d22 with 150 thousand on the clock. the bloke ive bought it from has done this thing up to the berries, which was my first mistake as there’s no list to what mods he’s done.

Pretty much everything looks custom, he’s added Elockers, front n back winches, turbo timer and a catch can, the list goes on.

my boost gauge only goes to 30 pound, and i’ve hit that a couple of times before on peak, but average she sits on 20-25 pound.

is this going to damage my engine?
looking at the engine it looks like it’s got a twin timing belt, and speaking to a mate he was saying navaras didn’t have twin timing belts until 2013 and onwards?
14psi is the boost from the factory, I’m not sure the stock Hitachi turbo could produce that much. Are you sure your gauge is correct?, a good tuner can confirm this and check your air/fuel ratios.

Latest posts

Back