2010 D40 Injector Cover Seals

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, I have been following the ebb and flow of many conversations on this forum, and now need some help myself. Has anyone developed a method of removing and replacing the injector seals in the plastic rocker cover of the YD25. My veh. is 2010 Navara D40 , diesel auto (Thai. bld.) Any ideas would be gratefully recieved Tom

I'm assuming you're referring to the seals on top of the plastic cover. The ones on the side where the injector lines go in are easy to replace.

Here's a video from India and it looks easy ... especially when the new seals are just pushed in with his thumbs! (y)The socket that holds the seal is conventional compared to a different design on my 2011 Thai camshaft cover.

Last year a few days before a remote expedition I noticed numbers 3 & 4 were leaking.

After removing the cover it was almost impossible to get them out without cracking the plastic. I had to destroy each seal by prising out with a screwdriver. I was going ok but the last one put a crack in the plastic that forms part of the breather chamber. Then I phoned the dealer and was informed the seals were not sold as a separate part they only sold the cover with new seals for $AUD228. I didn't have the time to investigate seals from elsewhere so beat the dealer down to $178 and bought a new cover.

If I was doing the job again I'd try a small dremel type wheel to cut the seal ... hopefully without cutting into the plastic but it would be difficult. Once cut it should be relatively easy to prise them it out.

Looking at the cover I feel they're not designed to replace the seals as a maintenance item. There seems to be an additional flange the seal slips under to lock it in. They certainly won't push in by hand like you see in the above video. They'd have to be driven in without breaking the plastic.

With the cost of dealer labour $AUD150+ /hr I'd suggest it was cheaper for them to remove and install a new camshaft cover compared to the time involved in getting old seals out and new ones in without damage. My local Nissan dealer confirmed that was the case as they were always breaking covers.

If money is not a big problem I'd buy a new cover and make it easy for yourself.

When I installed the cover I smeared some rubber grease around the seals and it's all been clean and oil tight ever since.

Here's another video of a Nissan plastic camshaft cover with the seal flange that's similar to our Thai Navaras. The guy explains why the whole cover has to be replaced.

Last edited:
Hi Scott. Many thanks for your reply. I have seen the video you refer to, and there is no way my rocker cover insides look like that one. I have since found out that yd25 keep the seals, so my next shot will be to find out what method they use to remove the old ones. As you say the old seals are captured by a groove in the plastic, and if you can destroy the old seals to get them out, (without breaking the plastic surround ) how do you install new ones? Anyway I will continue the search. Many thanks TOM

Hi Scott. Many thanks for your reply. I have seen the video you refer to, and there is no way my rocker cover insides look like that one. I have since found out that yd25 keep the seals, so my next shot will be to find out what method they use to remove the old ones. As you say the old seals are captured by a groove in the plastic, and if you can destroy the old seals to get them out, (without breaking the plastic surround ) how do you install new ones? Anyway I will continue the search. Many thanks TOM

I didn't mention that in getting my old seals out I did partially break that groove/surround in some places. I also noticed YD25 stock the seals so perhaps a phone call will get the information we all need.

I certainly wasn't too happy sidelining what was perfectly good camshaft cover. I kept the old one and just took a couple of photos and you can see the damage sustained on one of the seal housings getting the old item out. I've now chucked it in the bin.

IMG_20201221_183008.jpg

IMG_20201221_183025.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20201221_183008.jpg
    IMG_20201221_183008.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 9
Back