2007 D40 rear diff inner axle seal retainer stuck - suggestions welcome.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marked

Reaction score
Hi guys - trying to work through the roadworthy list for the daughter's new ride; the only how to I can find on U-toob has the guy hook the red retainer ring out with an allen key before removing the seal. The one in the daughter's seems to be stuck fast; even a jerry rigged slide hammer attachment doesn't seem to be budging it. Anyone with experience that can share some wisdom? Cheers.

As an ex-panelbeater, my first urge was to grab a bigger hammer ... luckily discussion with ex-mechanic father saw logic prevail and I whipped up a simple puller. Seems the extra heat from the bearing after the diff oil had flushed all the grease out seems to have caused the "retainer" to bond to the housing. Given the seal itself is press fit, the "retainer " is more likely just an axle guide to prevent damage to the seal while the axle is being inserted.
20210905_130957.jpg

The smaller piece fits horizontally through the retainer/seal and the wire was used to pull it up vertical to enable the bolt to be started in a tapped hole, The last 10mm of the housing is very slightly narrower than further out, so it doesn't take much movement to see both items come loose once the bond between the ring and housing releases.

20210905_230826.jpg

I hope this is of some help to someone else in future.

Thanks for posting that, I did have a good look through the service manual but couldn't find the part you were referring to (the instructions didn't reference a red retainer ring), so I left it in case someone else had any ideas.

Latest posts

Back