2006 navara D40 yd25 starting issue

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abdol94

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm have problems with my 2006 Nissan Navara D40 Yd25 engine as is won't start. Can someone help me please?
I took it out for a drive and got home and was idling in the driveway when the car stalled. I tried restarting it and got nothing. Tried priming the pumps and as soon as I cranked the engine the primer pumps went soft. I checked fuses and the air hoses and couldn't find anything. It's now at the auto electricians and they say that the computers busted but I've rung around and keep getting told it's not the computer. Can someone please tell me what might be wrong as this is my first Nissan and it's not looking good.😕

welcome to the forum
I would be getting another opinion
the d40 guys will help you out
when they get out of bed, there a slack bunch
cheers

I doubt it would be the computer. It would only be a problem if it was fried electrically.
It sounds like its fuel related. I would check the fuel filters there's 2 on the 06 models, make sure there not blocked and check for water in the fuel.
I would also remove the fuel tank cap to make sure there isn't an air lock as it sounds like the primer isn't getting a continuous flow of fuel. You could pressurise the tank with a rag and some compressed air to make sure the fuel is going up to the filters.
If all of the above is ok and fuel is reaching the pump then it could be a faulty suction control valve which is on the back of the pump. It regulates flow and is an easy replace for under $200.
Good luck and let us know how u go....

As above - but instead of replacing the SCV straight away, try cleaning it first. If that doesn't work, there are still other things to look at before shelling out any coin at all.

Most commonly, this happens after the fuel filter has been replaced by an aftermarket unit. If you can prime it and get the engine to start again, it will NOT be the computer since priming the system has nothing at all to do with the electronics!

Is your engine cranking or are you just getting a clicking sound? If its just a clicking sound make sure its not a timing chain issue, best way get yourself a cheap scangauge so you can decipher these issues easier

How long have you owned the car?

The reason i ask is it could be a very simple thing, but i think if you have owned the car for a long while you will be aware that the fuel pick up is in a silly spot and can cause the car to run out of fuel if parked with the nose pointing down a slope even though you may have thought there is plenty of fuel, ive had it happen when the fuel light was not even on so the car probably had around 15-20lts in it and i wasnt even on that much of a slope.
then if you cranked the engine for a while you could of got air into the injection which will then prevent you from priming it correctly and therefore not giving you ignition.

The other option is that it actually has dropped the timing chain, in which case you could just rip off the cover on the front of the engine and check to be sure.

Last edited:
If you prime the fuel system, will it then start?

If it does, your computer's fine and you have an air leak. The ECU is fairly robust, although its connectors can get a little dirty and cause some very odd issues.

It would be a terrible thing to see a good ECU replaced at large expense because of a perceived saving in an aftermarket fuel filter, which is almost always the cause of this sort of thing, followed by a dirty SCV.

Hey everyone ,
I know this is an old thread ,but sounds similar to a problem I'm experiencing..
Just rolled into a roundabout and it cut out ,now won't start.
Checked fuses ,earths the usual..
Now starting to suspect fuel issue ,car has always been reliable.
Just had a turbo upgrade done by nissan and 3k later and about 300k's i'm now off the road..
So I'm about to go and try these procedures..
Also bought a new battery as when cranking it was weak..
And did scan on it ,no faults identified to do with fuel or engine..
Did pick on the BCM ,but it did that before with no running issues.
But I haven't forgotten about it..:vroam:
Questions I have ...
Is there two fuel filters on the D40 YD25 (Spanish 2006) ? And if so where is the second one.
Is there an in tank fuel pump or just the one on the engine..? (Near SCV)

Any help appreciated.,I'm better at fixing petrol engines.. :alien:

Hey everyone ,
I know this is an old thread ,but sounds similar to a problem I'm experiencing..
Just rolled into a roundabout and it cut out ,now won't start.
Checked fuses ,earths the usual..
Now starting to suspect fuel issue ,car has always been reliable.
Just had a turbo upgrade done by nissan and 3k later and about 300k's i'm now off the road..
So I'm about to go and try these procedures..
Also bought a new battery as when cranking it was weak..
And did scan on it ,no faults identified to do with fuel or engine..
Did pick on the BCM ,but it did that before with no running issues.
But I haven't forgotten about it..:vroam:
Questions I have ...
Is there two fuel filters on the D40 YD25 (Spanish 2006) ? And if so where is the second one.
Is there an in tank fuel pump or just the one on the engine..? (Near SCV)

Any help appreciated.,I'm better at fixing petrol engines.. :alien:
Take crank censor plug off see if it starts if it starts it is most probably timing chain streached.good luck

Thanks for your reply Basher57 :lol:
I still haven't figured out what caused the stall and non start ..& a tow home..:ball:
But did get it running again ..
As I said just had work done to it.,and just put fuel in before it stalled..
So I was sketchy on the fuel.
Did a filter drain (seemed fine ,no contaminants)
Primed the fuel and did a fuel pump reset ,and she started..
There is no doubt more to this ..I'll have to wait and see..
Timing chain was done about 50K ago. So hoping it's not anything to do with that..But I will check that.
Cheers..

Before I took the car out too much more, I'd pop the bonnet and prime the fuel system. Don't stop when the primer bulb gets firm - keep going another 10 squeezes then look for a diesel fuel leak.

It's really quite common that a small leak (bad hose, overtight clamp, incorrectly fitted water sensor) will cause fuel to flow back to the tank and the car won't start. This also damages the pump because the pump relies on the fuel to lubricate its internals.

Latest posts

Back