2006 D40 STX 300,000km

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longshanks

Reaction score
Hello all, new member here :)

I'd like some advice to whether or not I'm just going to impoverish myself if I end up buying this vehicle. Which is:

2006 Navara D40 for $8500 AUD
Spanish Built
300,000km
Diesel 2.5
Manual
Dual cab
NO SERVICE BOOK

Has roofracks,
Canopy
Dual Battery
solar charger
Extended fuel tank
Sony media system
New tyres
New alternator
New clutch and single mass flywheel
New fuel rail
New rear shocks
Micron pre fuel filter

The seller has recommended that:
Get water pump checked/replaced
Get injectors checked/replaced
Get timing chain checked/replaced
Not because.that he notices that they need replacing but just that it is what he would do after buying a used diesel of this age.

Car is from a mechanic friend, who bought it from *another* friend, who got it from an inheritance.

Original owner *apparently* took amazing care of the vehicle, always serviced and taken care of - however also towed a caravan around Australia twice :p

One thing that won me over a little is that the tray canopy was modified to be comfortable for his dog. Had a camera and microphone with a wired in fan, he could watch doggo and keep it cool too.

Not the most optimal situation, especially without certainty regarding the history, however I do trust the story my friend is telling and he is known for being super honest, even brutally honest.

He's given me the car do drive around as long as I want to test it out, it drives really well, no weird sounds, gears shift fine. I've got another friend who is also a mechanic and also my old man drive with me and they both think it seems solid. Both had a peek around the engine bay and agree that for a car of its age and KMs, that it's been kept in good condition. No oils leaks, no weird sounds etc.

So, with as many boxes checked as I possibly can, is a car of this age just going to be a liability? Or is it possible that I get another 150,000 or more KMs out of it? Will my future be that of an empty wallet and hours in a workshop?

Sorry for the massive essay! I thought If I spammed ALL the information I know perhaps it would help with your opinions :)

Thanks for your time guys
Luke

IMG_20201217_182618.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20201217_182608.jpg
    IMG_20201217_182608.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20201217_182604.jpg
    IMG_20201217_182604.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20201217_182559.jpg
    IMG_20201217_182559.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20210126_110355.jpg
    IMG_20210126_110355.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 29
Get injectors checked/replaced
Get timing chain checked/replaced
Just with these 2 items if you have to replace them which would be prudent anyway with that may K's. Your up for big dollars to start with. Having said that I'm dog lover and good set up for your dog. Vehicle looks good to and unmolested. Maybe get a quote for new timing chain and injectors fitted and subtract that from the 8.5K as an offer.

The timing chain and injectors might be needed, but will cost serious coin. Nissan want $4K for the injectors but you can pick up genuine replacements for around $1600 (last time I looked).

The question is, would it be necessary at all?

I would suggest that the car may not be a bad buy BUT this is based on my own experience with a 2009 D40 that I purchased brand new and have put over 350,000km on myself (towing a caravan for about half those km). $8.5K for it seems like a good deal to begin with.

Spanish 2008 D40, 365k so far, had timing chain done at 220k, a scv and a clutch, other than that just normal servicing. A wait a see approach might suit for injectors but timing chain I would get done. About 110k of those k's towing a boat back and forth across the nullabor, great vehicles. Good luck with your prospective purchase

I just purchased a 2006 Spanish D40 STX with 250000km for $12K. With none of those extras and a lot of damaged interior trim (broken clips, peeling leather & loose things) and a big tear in the front bumper and rough paint... I didn’t flinch at the price as I was looking around Australia and everything else was very pricey (upward of $16K) and you weren’t getting much for your dollars. My husband wrote our previous 08 Spanish d40 RX with 230000km off falling asleep on the highway. Pretty gutted as the car was immaculate... such is life

So it sounds like a good buy to me.

if the car is as good as it sounds, and checks out ok, with no weird noises, buy it. If the timing chain concerns you, at least get it checked for wear. It may well be still in tolerance, and doesn't need replacing, like mine, touch wood!

As with any vehicle of that age, or especially that distance, it is a risk. Knowing the history and having a trusted mechanic helps reduce the risk.

What’s the going rate for a 2006 D40 with lower kms? Or a D40 with a blown engine? Is your financial position willing to risk the difference in what you’ve saved getting this one cheap vs a chance of having something go horribly wrong - ie the engine. Everything else is fairly cheap to repair.

Thanks for all the reply guys, I really appreciate it.

I'm going to get a pre purchase check done, just to make sure I haven't missed anything obvious and if all goes well then I'll take the leap. It's quite nice to drive to the point I actually look forward to it - let's hope it has a few KMs of life left :)

As with any vehicle of that age, or especially that distance, it is a risk. Knowing the history and having a trusted mechanic helps reduce the risk.

What’s the going rate for a 2006 D40 with lower kms? Or a D40 with a blown engine? Is your financial position willing to risk the difference in what you’ve saved getting this one cheap vs a chance of having something go horribly wrong - ie the engine. Everything else is fairly cheap to repair.
The going rate, even for something around the 200km mark is closer to 15k. Maybe 4-6 with a blown engine.

Hah it's that exact risk that I'm trying to balance. I can afford any hiccups but I'd rather get value for money (don't we all)

I'm going to get a pre purchase check done
Like previously mentioned the vehicle looks good. Just make sure that in that pre purchase check they do timing chain deflection test. As if that goes snap, it's a new engine. If the injector go bung at least it's not going leave you on the side of the road.

Latest posts

Back