2006 D22 ZD30 Engine Shutting Down

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAD97

Reaction score
Hi
I have a 2006 D22 ZD30 with approx 190000Km
Was driving home from work and stopped at a intersection and as i took off the motor stalled
Once it restarted it wouldnt build up Revs at all idled ute through intersection and parked on side of the road

If i start the car and leave it idle it will happily keep running have had it ideling for over 20 mins without it stopping

While in nuetral If i push the pedal down normally all the way to the floor you can hear a change in the engine RPM but only a100 rpm or so
If i give the pedal quick sharp stabs, it will all of a sudden start to rev all the way to Hi Idle you then can rev the car through the rev range for about 10 seconds and then it just shuts off
If i try and start the car from the shutdown without first turning the key off it will just wind over without firing. If i turn the key to the off postion and try starting it will fire straight up but still has the same issues

The engine check light isnt on
All that i have done so far is changed the fuel filter with no difference
Any ideas or help offered greatly appreciated
Cheers Jason

Last edited:
Thanks Guys
I'm in North Queensland
I have got a loan of a Snap On Reader hopefully it connects

There is a "throttle position sensor" on the accelerator pedal that sounds likely. Not sure how to check that, works off a 0-5 v signal. If you search "zd30 throttle position sensor" you should find threads where others have had this problem and how they approached it.

Out of curiosity, if it's idling in neutral and you switch the heat switch on, do the revs rise?

Out of further curiosity has it got a chip, or cruise control?

Not sure about the snap on reader, the ZD30 will require a Nissan consult protocol which you can try and look for if it doesn't pick anything up. You can also find the fault code with a flashing light method that is listed on here somewhere if you try a search. Someone may know where it is and post a link.
Also you can try and search neutral protect switch (I think?). I reckon this is what Horatius was thinking when asking about the heater switch check. I recall this being mentioned before as a check and being a relatively easy process
Good luck mate and keep us informed

Thanks Guys
All sorted the Snap On Scan Tool Worked the scan tool picked up a Throttle Sensor fault
Was looking at sensor to see how to remove and noticed that there is a micro switch on the pedal assembly that reads the pedal off or fully up position there is a metal tab tab on the side of the pedal shaft that has a rubber disc attached to it that when the pedal is in the fully up position the rubber disc sits on the contacts of the micro switch the tab that holds this disc had broken off the tab and the rubber disc was heat effected and sticky to touch and stuck on the mirco switch contacts making it think that the throttle was always in the off position regardless of pedal position

Have attached a photo to try and help explain what had happened
Have driven the car for over and hour now and rescanned with reader with no faults
Thanks for all your input

Cheers Jason
Throttle Pedal 2 .jpg

Good that the issues seems to be resolved
but I am interested in your "Snap On Scan Tool" -this sounds like it reads NIssan Consult protocol ( hard to find scanners that do -except if you go back to the dealership -big $'s and not flexible enough ) . Can you pls share the make and brand of the "Snap On Scan Tool" . Phone number of company would also be nice if available.
Cheers

Hi
The Scan Tool is a Snapon Ethos Edge Scanner its not cheap and is aimed for workshops etc
Was lucky to be able to loan from a guy I work with

Cheers

Snapon Ethos Edge .jpg

thanks for the info on the scanner -yea checked price $3,300 -so not cheap but looks good
cheers

Hi I had a similar problem I found the fuel rail pressure was way to high
Replaced the fuel suction control valve about $400 fixed it up
My symptoms were take off engine loses all power leave it for a few minutes starts again good for bit then done it again still ran but with no throttle response to talk of would not go over 1500 rpm

Thanks Guys
All sorted the Snap On Scan Tool Worked the scan tool picked up a Throttle Sensor fault
Was looking at sensor to see how to remove and noticed that there is a micro switch on the pedal assembly that reads the pedal off or fully up position there is a metal tab tab on the side of the pedal shaft that has a rubber disc attached to it that when the pedal is in the fully up position the rubber disc sits on the contacts of the micro switch the tab that holds this disc had broken off the tab and the rubber disc was heat effected and sticky to touch and stuck on the mirco switch contacts making it think that the throttle was always in the off position regardless of pedal position

Have attached a photo to try and help explain what had happened
Have driven the car for over and hour now and rescanned with reader with no faults
Thanks for all your input

Cheers Jason View attachment 36122
nice find.
thx for the pic to, i'm sure that will help someone out one day.
much appreciated.

Hi I had a similar problem I found the fuel rail pressure was way to high
Replaced the fuel suction control valve about $400 fixed it up
My symptoms were take off engine loses all power leave it for a few minutes starts again good for bit then done it again still ran but with no throttle response to talk of would not go over 1500 rpm
no scv on the zd30 engines, only on the later common rail engines.

Latest posts

Back