2005 Navara suspension upgrade

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveandbron

Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone, My Navara has a max towing of 2800kg however my trailer is rated at 3500kg. The ute has extra heavy duty rear springs & airbag suspension so is it possible to have it engineer approved for a higher towing capacity? ideally at 3500kg but any upgrade would help as I often find my load would would push me over the current limit. Are the mods I've had done enough or are there a lot more involved. Thanks in advance. Dave

You might end up struggling with that weight. Not because the car can't do it, but because not only do you have a limit of what you can tow, but the total combined mass of car + trailer cannot exceed 6,000kg (this is called the Gross Combination Mass or GCM). To tow 3500kg, you have to look at the manual for your car and check the revised vehicle GVM based on the ball weight being towed (you'll find it in the manual), and then make sure that your tow vehicle is below the answer to this:

6000 minus Ball Weight Adjustment minus 3500 = car's max loaded weight.

Let's say you have a ball weight adjustment of 80kg. Your car's loaded weight (with fuel, passengers and any gear you want to take) cannot exceed 6000-80-3500 = 2420kg.

is it possible to have it engineer approved for a higher towing capacity?

Maybe, even so you really are asking a lot from the vehicle. Never a good idea with dog trailer to tow something that exceeds the weight of the tow vehicle. Like it may be ok for a slow steady drive down to boat ramp on a Sunday morning but take it out at some speed on the open road and really your asking for trouble.

Here is a handy youtube explainer.

Video when it all goes wrong.

Latest posts

Back