2" lift

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonka Truck

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I want to lift my D23 Navara up 2 inches but first I would like to get advice from the group. In the process of lifting it, I would like to address the handeling issues it has. It tends to skip across bumps on corners on roads and feels a bit loose. I dont know if upgraded shockers will fix this with the lift. Can anybody give some advice on this issue?

It's very well known the OME/standard shocks on Navara's and many dual cab utes for that matter are made for boulevarde cruising. Manufactures do it for a reason. When you take yourself and the misses out for test drive you have the advantage of a ute but it drives like a car, your impressed on how silky smooth it is.

What will really fix you handling issues is upgraded Dampers/shocks. If you go off road, sure go the lift as well. With a lift you will need a wheel alignment as well. I'm not familiar with D23's but if you have the eccentric adjustment bolt both for and aft of the lower wishbone. You should get wheel alignment in spec. Someone here will know.

One thing for sure don't go cheap. Get something decent, you wont regret it. I'm a bit of fan of mono tube shocks but there is also some excellent twin tube shocks to.

As Tappet says, shocks will change how the suspension reacts to movement. "Skipping" across bumps is a sure sign of a shock absorber that's not working properly.

Thanks guys, awsome info. Yes you are right Tappet! Silky smooth on the test ride and the wifey loved it. Somehow, I thought it was a "too good to be true moment" and it wasnt long before I was proved right too. So now I will have to spend some bucks to fix it and make it handle better.
Looks like I have some homework to do. Not 100% on the lift thing, just thought it would look better with a bit more height. But better shockers are clearly needed. I would always go the alignment anyway just to make sure everything is working as it should.

Can anybody set me on the straight path with some good, reasonable quality brand names or two to investigate??

Not 100% on the lift thing, just thought it would look better with a bit more height.
As mentioned if you go off road do the lift for sure. Maybe even consider doing front lift only if you never carry much of a load. Saves a few bucks. Looks wise they look pretty cool sitting level (no rake) but do upgrade the shocks all round.

I had Bilsteins along with Kings springs front and EFS leaves rear. Fitted at Fulcrums. Back in early 2012. I found the the Kings springs to be a little on the soft side. I do have a steel Bar. After reading on this forum that Dobinsons Heavy Duty work really well with Bilsteins. Had them fitted, and wow more lift, a good 50mm, rides nice and feels totally planted. No issues at all but have nowhere near the K's old Tony has clocked up. Still some of the K's are harsh, up the Cape a couple of times and and other full on tracks up this neck of the woods.

I would steer away from Iron Man and Tough Dog options. Haven't heard to many good things about them. You can't go much wrong ARB's either. Other options to maybe consider are KYB or Koni but get your check book out for the latter.

Great advice thanks Matey. This is the best way to find honest opinions and to learn from what other people have done. This is a whole new ball game for me. I do very little to none (actually none) of the offroad stuff and dont carry big loads in the tonka truck so springs on the firmer side of soft (lol) with some reasonable quality shocks would probably suit. I like the idea of the 50mm lift, just for the good look and because I have converted from a showpony Commodore SS Redline ute which was much closer to the ground than my new 4WD ride. I would like to do some light sort of 4WD action statring with at the beach and sand to dip the toes. Guessing I will like it and have fun with it, then probably want more. The wifey is a bit scared of the more serious stuff and I am not experienced with it either so baby steps for us. I am keen to do the research and sort the suspension first.

Attachments

• IMG-1325.jpg
    IMG-1325.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG-1326.jpg
    IMG-1326.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 43
Ah, King Cab. Nice! Don't see to many D23 King Cabs or D40's for that matter. 2 Inch lift would look great. Maybe do the 2 inch lift from the start and that way latter on if you do feel like bit of 4WD action your set up.

The great thing about King Cabs (for me anyway) that 300mm extra tray, which means I can sleep in the back. Other good thing if you do carry a load you can get much more of that weight forward of the rear axle.

I looked at a kit on the internet with Webco shocks that are described as Nitrogen gas shocks with 16mm piston rods,twin tube shock body, EFS leaf springs 2" lift and Front King springs 2" lift. Kit comes with new shackle bushes and U bolts for rear. Does anybody know about the quality of these parts and if this kit would be of reasonable quality.

Mate i just put a Fulcrum Formula 2" enhancement kit on my D40. Comes with everything in the attached pic. Front springs are King Springs. Rear shackles are re-greaseable. Paid $1890 fitted and am very happy with it.

Attachments

• suspension kit.jpg
    suspension kit.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 38
Hi Tim, thanks for that info. Sounds awesome. I will check out this Fulcrum kit for my D23. How is the handeling on roads? I get a sort of unstable or stuttering and loose feeling on bends at 90-100 kmh when there are bumps on the road. Its actually quite off putting specially in wet weather. I am hoping to eliminate that with a reasonably good quality suspension kit.

I've done about 3500km so far. A bit of off road but mostly up the Bruce Hwy from Brisbane to North Qld. Hot weather and rain and I cant complain about anything. I've been back for my free 1000km check up (as stated done 3500km), they just ensure everything has settled fine. I've found a huge improvement on road handling. My rear springs were rated to the 250-300kg mark as I don't carry much of a load, mainly fridge, bit of camping gear and swags etc.. I travel light. and the front springs were the lighter King springs as I only have an alley bull bar and no winch. whether your go heavy or lighter didn't make a difference in price. A good suspension place should ask you all of these questions and match the package to your vehicle.

Again , great info Tim and much appreciated. I have made contact with Fulcrum suspension and I am waiting on them to email back to me with the info for my Navara model. I looked on the website and it looks like the kit i will need is about the $1700 plus install. But I will wait for their advice. Thanks for you input

Well it appears that the guys from Fulcrum may be a little busy or have enough work. A few days now since I sent them an email but no answer. Might have to try another option.

Well it appears that the guys from Fulcrum may be a little busy or have enough work. A few days now since I sent them an email but no answer. Might have to try another option.

Give them a call if there dismissive or unresponsive. I would look elsewhere. Never really found email in this type of circumstance as the best form of first contact. Pretty much no matter what sort of auto accessories or anything else you're interested in. It shouldn't be that way but just the way it is.

Last edited:
Yeah, I always found a phone call is better. I did 15 years in the automotive trade between 1987 and 2002 and in that era the phone was the way. Unfortunately my knowledge from back then is irellevant. My time was more about cars as SUV's and 4WD's were not anywhere near as popular back then. It has all changed in the parts game. These days, If I listen to my 32 year old son and 28 year old daughter, they say nobody enquires about product by phone. Its always email they say. I guess it depends on the vintage of the people at the business as to how they prefer to communicate. I will try calling, the old fashion way.

A single email is easy to miss. We get a bunch of spam to our home email and have missed a real email from time to time. I can imagine a business would get a lot of unsolicited emails too and it could be quite a job sifting through each morning.

It's very well known the OME/standard shocks on Navara's and many dual cab utes for that matter are made for boulevarde cruising. Manufactures do it for a reason. When you take yourself and the misses out for test drive you have the advantage of a ute but it drives like a car, your impressed on how silky smooth it is.

What will really fix you handling issues is upgraded Dampers/shocks. If you go off road, sure go the lift as well. With a lift you will need a wheel alignment as well. I'm not familiar with D23's but if you have the eccentric adjustment bolt both for and aft of the lower wishbone. You should get wheel alignment in spec. Someone here will know.

One thing for sure don't go cheap. Get something decent, you wont regret it. I'm a bit of fan of mono tube shocks but there is also some excellent twin tube shocks to.
mate, i waited 4 months for bilsteins because there none in the country and a set is 600 dollars more than others, i can only hope it will be worth it, fulcrum can order them so can anyone, they will try and sell you new upper control arms, i really dont know if they are needed but im getting them as well for more than one reason....

I have tried to get two different sets of 2 inch lift kits from Fulcrum Suspension, Formula and Raw, they cannot supply as parts are not available due to.............. guess what............ you wont believe it.............COVID bloody 19. How does Covid - 19 affect 4WD suspension??? Looks like I am off to Pedders Suspension tomorrow to get what I need as they have it on the shelf. Only thing they dont have is rear leaf springs. Theirs are rated for constant loads of 400kg or more. No problem though, I can get good rear leaf springs in many places.

Latest posts

Back