1993 D21 2wd dualcab - with engine conversion

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muvro

Reaction score
Here's a pic of my new daily. It's a 1993 2WD dualcab, nothing special but a darn sight better than what I was driving before it. It's got a few big dents, but on the whole it's a pretty good body for the age with only minimal rust on the drivers pillar and a bit around the top of the front screen. That will all get fixed one day, but for now it has been treated with rust converter to slow it's progress.

The 2.4 is very tired with 317k kms on it. Ready for a swap out. :)

I picked it up for a bargain, just needed tyres and rego. to get it on the road again. But it needs a lot of other little things to be done, not really massive stuff, but it will make the car drive so much better. Things like, full overhaul on the steering, new shocks all round, all the suspension bushes, upper and lower ball joints. All of this will be done over time when the need arises.

Now with Christmas, New Years and all the household chores out of the way, it was time to get stuck into the supercharged V6 conversion.

The 2.4 ready to come out and begine it's new life as a garage ornament until I'm ready to sell it.

The V6 is now in. There isn't a whole lot of room, but there's just enough to be comfortable. There were however, some mods done to the body to help make it comfortable. I had to give the gearbox tunnel a good wacking to allow for the PRNDL switch that is located on the passenger side of the box. I also had to give the lip on the firewall a slight bend up, to allow the access for the engine to be installed and removed off the engine mounts. I've placed the motor with minimal clearance at the rear of the engine to allow for maximum clearance at the front to fit the fans in.

Last edited:
Here's a pic of the engine mount bracket I had to fabricate for the passenger side. It's not finished yet, it still needs to be boxed/reinforced. The actual engine mount is an aftermarket option from TTT Performance as a direct replacement for the V6 engine mounts in VT-VY commodores. I had it for my other commodore, but neglected to put it in. Lucky I had been lazy, as it came in very handy, because the standard mount pushed too low and wouldn't clear the swaybar. I don't know how V6 Conversions thinks the L67 fits, because I have minimal clearance above the blower pulley (and I'm running an aftermarket pulley that is smaller than the factory unit) and the motor is millimeters from the firewall. As it is, I have to space the swaybar about 5mm down to clear the mount as it is. With the factory one, it would require about another 20mm.

This is the standard commodore sump that has been cut up and is now ready for welding. I had a spare sump as a garden ornament that I was able to steal some extra material. I have raised the floor to clear the steering rods and swaybar. The rear section (on the left of the picture) is an extension to increase the capacity, due to the reduction of capacity by raising the floor. The only thing left to do before welding is relocate the sump plug to the very front where the bulb is.

The gearbox crossmember, has been sectioned and reinforced. A bit more welding is required, to make it look pretty (along with some paint), but its definitely strong enough and will do for now. All the prettying up will be done after the car is running.

Not a heap of clearance, but more than enough for it not to foul.

Last edited:
Just a quick shot of under the engine.

Other things I plan on doing;

-Install full VT commodore steering column to make use of the indicator and wiper stalks along with the associated wiring.
- Install complete VT Calais cabin and engine bay fuseboxes, Body Control Module and Powertrain Control Module and looms. Taking advantage of the VT Calais creature comforts like central locking, Climate control, electric windows.
- Install the full VT Calais instrument cluster and dash assembly.
- Install VT center consol to house VT auto shifter and standard power window switches.
- Modify standard Navara tank to accomodate the VT fuelpump and level sender assembly.
- Modify Navara tailshaft to fit VT gearbox
- Fit 3/8" metal fuel line for feed from tank to motor.
- Fit VT charcoal canister.
- Fabricate exhaust.

There's probably a million other things I need to do, but can't think of them now.

Last edited:
Cheers Amber.

Only had a few hours today, so got the sump welded and finished boxing in the passenger engine mount bracket.

Had to move the original sump plug to the front bulb as it is the lowest part of the sump (hence the cut and shut around the sump plug hole and the mysterious patch at the rear of the sump. Also welded up the middle hole as it was from the old spare sump I had in the garden.

Also got the engine bay wiring loom ready, Now just need to cut the holes in the firewall.

Last edited:
After a massive week the ute is almost done. I totally removed the navara loom and installed the complete harness, the only navara wiring that remains is the plugs for the lights. I installed the vt fuel pump assembly into the nav tank, vt dash is in, along with the center console and shifter.

There was some massaging needed in the gearbox tunnel to fit the inhibitor switch. The tailshaft is the perfect length, but the width of the yoke is slightly different, so i have to get it modded. Ordered new carpet today as well.

Ill get some pics up soon. :)

Well the ute is so close now. Haven't had much time to spend on it, but getting there.

So all the wiring is 100% done. I also ended up putting the entire commodore AC heater box in, complete with dual zone climate control.

image_zpsc8a2f7c2.jpg
[/URL]

I bought some under carpet sound deadened and insulation. So have to install that.

Engine bay is finished, except for a few holes that need to filled in the firewall, and load the fuse box. Also have to bolt the center of the rad support in.

image_zps0e247d96.jpg
[/URL]

image_zpsec082bf7.jpg
[/URL]

Just have to bolt the tail shaft in and make the exhaust. Hoping to get that done on Saturday. Then just have to fit the navara seat rails to the SS commodore seats and finish fitting the rear carpet.

So keen to drive this. :)

Oh, I also had to install the commodore hand brake lever as the navara under dash lever had to be removed to make way for the Commy AC unit. So have to get the rear cables sorted as well.

Bored much .... j.k -that's a huge! And the dash too! Wow!

Ummmm how about doing my 4x4 03 zd !?. Seriously! Just the motor though!

I can't wait to hear this run, good job!

looks like he dropped of the radar 7 years ago. wonder if it ever got going?
Ahhhh didn't notice that, thanks for the info...

shame huh, thats some amazing work... id love to do this to mine,,,,looking at that conversion kit now ;) about $3000 + motor and time....or, i get a second hand zd motor to keep her on the road and build a pootrol LS...mm mmm LS sound good but $$$$,,,, the v6 is cheaper.

Here's a pic of my new daily. It's a 1993 2WD dualcab, nothing special but a darn sight better than what I was driving before it. It's got a few big dents, but on the whole it's a pretty good body for the age with only minimal rust on the drivers pillar and a bit around the top of the front screen. That will all get fixed one day, but for now it has been treated with rust converter to slow it's progress.

The 2.4 is very tired with 317k kms on it. Ready for a swap out. :)

I picked it up for a bargain, just needed tyres and rego. to get it on the road again. But it needs a lot of other little things to be done, not really massive stuff, but it will make the car drive so much better. Things like, full overhaul on the steering, new shocks all round, all the suspension bushes, upper and lower ball joints. All of this will be done over time when the need arises.

Now with Christmas, New Years and all the household chores out of the way, it was time to get stuck into the supercharged V6 conversion.

The 2.4 ready to come out and begine it's new life as a garage ornament until I'm ready to sell it.

The V6 is now in. There isn't a whole lot of room, but there's just enough to be comfortable. There were however, some mods done to the body to help make it comfortable. I had to give the gearbox tunnel a good wacking to allow for the PRNDL switch that is located on the passenger side of the box. I also had to give the lip on the firewall a slight bend up, to allow the access for the engine to be installed and removed off the engine mounts. I've placed the motor with minimal clearance at the rear of the engine to allow for maximum clearance at the front to fit the fans in.

Hey buddy have you got a number i can call im doing the same mod as this and just wana ask you a few questions

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back