1987 D21 4x4 King_Cab Build Log

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mogobob

Reaction score
Hi, Guys..

Utterly great forum i've been looking at it for days, joined just now... i've learned a lot!

will :wash_truck: when it's complete.

A few weeks back i looked at the poor thing and a great lump came into my throat and i felt a twinge of guilt so i decided then and there to go all the way and do everything to it. including a respray...

The truck is used for acid washing bricks and carrying nasty chemicals for hundreds of miles... I'll post some photos of it's current condition in the next few days.

Progress so far On The build

Motor.
So far I've put a factory recon z24s in it and brought a 32\36 dvg weber from amercica for it. (gaining what feels like about 15 horses) I am also going to get a mild cam for it to take full advantage of the weber.With the weber and loss of the mechanical fan the truck can easily sit on 130klms with a constant load of about 1.2 ton on the back. Around town i get an almost unbelievable 7.5ltrs per hundred klms. (It went from 380 to 450 out of 70ltrs)

Fiitting a 32/36DVG Weber:
There is a complete and excellent Kit available that bolts right on to the ordinary z24 petrol manifold. Just to let you know the weber is very finiky to tune but once you get it right it is amazing.

Tips to Fitting the 32/36DVG Weber.
The Kit comes with everything you need including several gaskets so you can take advantage of that. The only thing missing is a bracket for the vacumn module that opens the throttle when the aircon comes off and on so you might have to make one as i did.

Inside the existing manifold when you remove the old carby you will find a double -throated induction tube ( my guess is it directs the air-flow of the old carby) all it does is restrict the weber so pull it out (you can put it back later if you like but i took mine out) when fitting the carby take particular notice of the length of the studs that are supplied and screw them into the manifold first) Webers hate vacumn leaks so give very close attention to the gaskets and bolt tensions. A cavet is that if you over-tighten them the gasket gets screwed. Once you have your truck running check the spark-plug color over several days and make sure it is a browny color not white. as white will mean it is too lean.

Also you may want to give some attention to the air cleaner as the way the lid clips on is pathetic. i actually drilled holes in the flange of the carby and tapped 4mm holes then added threaded long studs so that the air cleaner is bolted solidy to the top of the weber. "ill add a photo of that too.

Exhaust.
So the weber can perform its magic i have had the complete exhaust replaced with a lightly restricted 2" system and extractors. It is a little loud but not too bad if you don't floor it around town.

Cooling System.
The radiator is new and the mechanical (viscous-coupling) driven fan has been thrown in the bin and replaced with an electric thermo fan (gaining 7 to 10 horses) even on the beach it never gets above 1/4 on the temp guage. The power for the fan is taken care of by a thermatically operator and adjustable reostat and ther is also a manual switch for the fan inside the cab (just in case) both of these are on their own circuit and relay while the fan is also switched on by the aircon clutch.

Gearbox Drive_train
The g'box was reconditioned about a year ago... i am utterly amazed at how well the old thing goes... in the sand it's a tractor..

Tyres.
10r desert dueler 15" tyres

Steering
For years i have struggled to steer the damn thing as it never had power-steering but just the other week i managed to get hold of a 1992 D21 king cab with power-steering for 400 bucks (the g'box in it is totally cactus) so i canabalized the power-steering out of it and replaced all the bushes and tie-rod ends in the front end.

Interior
The interior has independant spot-light switches so that you can adjust them with the headlight off (the spotties are also hooked to the high-beam) they also have independant wiring and relays so that you can use one set or two.

Behind the seats in the KingCab section there is a two level shelf running right to left which allows one to keep all the tools dry and out of sticky fingers.

In The Back
Tucked up under the rack on the drivers side is a 1000lb winch that makes it easy for one man to load the blasting machine.

In Progress
Full Ally checker plate internal trim -- doors, dash and everything ...
WIll p;ost photos of progress so far :big_smile:
To Come
Ally Sump and tranny guards
Bullbar and sliders
Winchbar and winch
New Shocks Tough_dog or Something (open to suggestions)
Heavy duty torsion bars and Springs..
New aircon compressor
Paint job (I have decided on the Yellow of the New Jeeps) i reckon it will look great since all the black bits on the Old girl will be repainted black.

Thanks again for a great forum

steve

Latest posts

Back