17x8" rim wirh 265/70r17

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmac

Reaction score
I've been fairly quiet on here for a while so please be kind.
I've searched and googled this to death but still don't know much.
I'm currently running with 16x7 rims with a set of 265.75r16 tyres and im due for a new set of tyres in a few months.
I'm in love with the Nitto Ridge Grappler tyre but unfortunately they come in 265.70r17 and not in 265.75r16. I would seriously consider buying a set of 17x8 rims to be able to have these tyres. My question is or questions are..... will they fit? Will the scrub? Will i have any issues?
Im thinking that full lock i may get slight scrubbing due to the 8" wide rim but because im already rolling with 265.75 on the 16" rim i should be fine because outer tyre circumference stays the same.
Yeah nah yeah nah?

Thanks Tony, yeah thats the only thread that i have only found with any info on 17's. If i was going by that id say id have no issues but it's not comparing apples with apples. Is the patrol rim 17x8? And not sure what size tyre he was running. Assuming 265,70r17

A bigger and wider rim even with a stock tyre size is going to give you grief somewhere.
Either on full lock or on suspension travel.
Best way to find out is if you can borrow a pair from someone and stick them on the front for a couple of drives.
Then you will know for sure.

As above, try before you buy. Standard patrol rims will have a different offset, so they will stick out further than the Navara's, making them more likely to catch on your inner guards, guards and mud flaps when turning!

What do you mean by the back space? Back of the tire and guard space?
If i got 17x8 and try to replicate standard offset as much as possible, do a little mud guard massaging i should be ok?

Backspace is how far the rim sits inwards or outwards of the hub face. 0 is obviously the centre of the rim in line with the hub face, positive offset (or backspace) is further inwards (towards centre of vehicle) and negative is outwards (away from vehicle centre). They are measured in mm. From memory standard D22 wheels are +40 offset.

Normally if you go to a wider rim, a more negative offset is required to clear underbody and suspension components (as mentioned above) so having a more negative offset still allows you to turn and suspension to flex.

If you can try them first that would be your best option. Then at least you will know if you're going to have clearance.

Thanks Bods, ericcs and Tony.
Just need someone in SA with 17x8 wheels with a 265/70 tyre on to borrow for a few kms.
Was hoping someone had the specs and could say yeah nah.
A mate has 16x8, 0 offset with 265/75 and has some scrubbing at full lock.
Maybe if i got 17x8 +20 offset, 265/70 I should be ok?

Latest posts

Back