12V outlet in tray

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonba

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone has used the 12V in tray outlet...

Does it stay powered all the time, or does it require the truck to be on acc? Just looking at getting a small fridge and obviously I want it to keep running while the truck is off and I am doing stuff.

Does it stay powered all the time, or does it require the truck to be on acc? Just looking at getting a small fridge and obviously I want it to keep running while the truck is off and I am doing stuff.

Only stays on with the ignition running mate. If you put it to accessories i would not leave it to long as it can/could drain your battery. I have fitted a dual battery/portable with a solar panel.

Yep, this is the way i set mine up, can take the battery out, hook up the fridge and lights and off for the day.

As most of my camping consists of hunting I have a base camp and set it up for the duration.

So it is not permanently mounted.

Attachments

• 20151013_135425_resized.jpg
    20151013_135425_resized.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 679
  • 20151013_135438_resized.jpg
    20151013_135438_resized.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 638
G'Day Timmyt
Usually this means the wiring is not heavy enough to run a big draw appliance like a camping fridge. I have a waeco 50lt fridge but haven't tried the outlet yet to see if it can handle it or not.
Check to see if there is still 12V coming out of the outlet (when the car is on), if not, means the fuse is probably blown and will need to replace it.
The ARB fridge probably draws more power than the Waeco / Ingel manufactured fridges and you might need to upgrade the wiring on this outlet for it to work. Another work around is to fit a second battery in the tray with a DC-DC charger. Run the fridge of the second battery and plug the DC-Dc charger into the 12V socket in the tub and that will work as well.

I've plugged Engel fridge to that outlet yesterday and it works fine. I also was surprised that outlet was ON even with ignition OFF. I was planning to plug WACO battery into that socket and then fridge, but as it stays always on, I'm now wondering what to do to prevent main battery from discharging?

Yegor

G'Day Timmyt
Usually this means the wiring is not heavy enough to run a big draw appliance like a camping fridge. I have a waeco 50lt fridge but haven't tried the outlet yet to see if it can handle it or not.
Check to see if there is still 12V coming out of the outlet (when the car is on), if not, means the fuse is probably blown and will need to replace it.
The ARB fridge probably draws more power than the Waeco / Ingel manufactured fridges and you might need to upgrade the wiring on this outlet for it to work. Another work around is to fit a second battery in the tray with a DC-DC charger. Run the fridge of the second battery and plug the DC-Dc charger into the 12V socket in the tub and that will work as well.

Cheers mate. As an auto electrician I have investigated further. The wiring to the 12 volt outlet is about 5-6mm and should be be good for about 10 amps continuous. Which will run most fridges. I had the fridge check out last week and they told me it's ok. On further inspection I have found the fridge faulty and drawing excessive power which the internal protection in the fridge then turns off. The ARB and Engels have the same compressor. Nothing wrong with the 12 volt outlet in the tub which is a bit of a relief. The outlet is supplied from battery power and not accessories so what out you don't run your start battery down if left on for to long.

I've plugged Engel fridge to that outlet yesterday and it works fine. I also was surprised that outlet was ON even with ignition OFF. I was planning to plug WACO battery into that socket and then fridge, but as it stays always on, I'm now wondering what to do to prevent main battery from discharging?

Yegor
You can fit a relay that cuts in at 13v and out at 12.6v.
Or get a engle battery protector.

On a side note ARB and Warco fridges use Danfos compressors and Engle uses a Sawafuji compressor.

I noticed stamped on the plug it says that it is good for 20amps. It is always powered from what I've discovered.
I also "tapped" into its look to install a little light in my tub (off a switch) for night time when I need to get things out of the car

Used the tray power outlet today and it is powered all the time.

Only stays on with the ignition running mate. If you put it to accessories i would not leave it to long as it can/could drain your battery. I have fitted a dual battery/portable with a solar panel.
its powered all the time with or without the key in or out or engine running or off

You can fit a relay that cuts in at 13v and out at 12.6v.
Or get a engle battery protector.

On a side note ARB and Warco fridges use Danfos compressors and Engle uses a Sawafuji compressor.
Great idea mate - thanks - I will fit a relay so it cuts out before the primary battery gets too low to start the car. :)

Latest posts

Back