09 D22 dual battery setup

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what do you want ot use the battery for. You can get cheap RedArc Isolators which will do the job just fine or you can go to a more expensive step charge liek the RedArc BCDC1220 or the Ctek D250S. Remembering an Isolator will only charge the second battery to 80%ish once the cranking battery has been charged to 100% by the alternator.

i used this website as a guide and i have never had any dramas

http://www.fridge-and-solar.net/dual_bat.htm

i used ot have a redarc isolator and never had dramas

Red Wire - Start Battery to fuse to RedArc Isolator to Fuse to Second Battery
Black Wire(earth) - Start Battery to Second Battery

I think i used 16mm2 cable but not 100%sure.

I now use a similar setup but instead i use auto reset breakers at both ends instead of fuses and a 20amp ctek step charger D250S Dual

I now use a similar setup but instead i use auto reset breakers at both ends instead of fuses and a 20amp ctek step charger D250S Dual

have you got a diagram of your set up

Hi all, Really impressed with the detail and support you all provide each other in all the forums. This is my first post seeking advice. I have a 2009 d22 STR. It has the factory dual battery setup in it. I see I can get Optima Yellow Top D34 (750CCA, 55AH) batteries on Ebay for $230-$245 each (they are very similar in dimension to the original batteries). I was wondering if two of these Optima's would be suitable to replace the two originals, or are there other things I need to consider?

Cheers,
G.

The D34 is 55Ah and 750CCA but only 18Kg. It's a nice rugged battery and will do just fine - your car will need 500 to 550A to turn over so they're more than adequate.

Batteries Direct are flogging them for $275 each ($349 for the D31A 75Ah 900CCA 27Kg). You're getting a good deal!

hi rusty or anybody that can help me i am looking at putting a battery in the tub so the ctek eliminates any drain at the cranking batt? i will have a single 4amp fridge and some led bar lights for camper on a 120ah with 120w solar would i be better of with 2x120ah + 2x120w solar for a 7 day stay? what would you go

Last edited:
Gday,just going down this path with my new D22[13],modifying the battery sys will VIOD warranty,both according to service dept & auto elec,it is possible to do at risk of warranty.So until it runs out will be running a 3rd batt in tub off a Redarc 12v to 12v charger.Auto elec says the law changed [vic]at start of 2012,something to do with smart alts they are putting in cars nowadays.Hugh

Rubbish your wty won't be affected i did a thread compact d22 duel battery setup a while ago search that on the forum i had heaps of wty done never had a issue with it.

Gday,just going down this path with my new D22[13],modifying the battery sys will VIOD warranty,both according to service dept & auto elec,it is possible to do at risk of warranty.So until it runs out will be running a 3rd batt in tub off a Redarc 12v to 12v charger.Auto elec says the law changed [vic]at start of 2012,something to do with smart alts they are putting in cars nowadays.Hugh

You know, they aren't allowed to say that to you and they certainly aren't allowed to DO that to you.

In Australia we don't need two crankers. One cranker is enough (except Mazda vehicles all seem to have a cranker :wristy: behind the wheel too). If you want to change that into an aux go for it.

You might affect the warranty on that battery - it is a SLI (Starter, Lights, Ignition) which is not designed for deep cycle work - but if they try to tell you that your torsion bars are affected, or turbocharger fault is due to it, then they are having you on and you need to bring the authorities in on it.

That's just bloody wrong and they ought to know better.

Rubbish your wty won't be affected i did a thread compact d22 duel battery setup a while ago search that on the forum i had heaps of wty done never had a issue with it.

Not getting into argument,but I would rather believe someone who has done a trade.Hugh

Not getting into argument,but I would rather believe someone who has done a trade.Hugh

Pfft. Believe what you want. Nissan don't fit smart alternators to d22s. Modifying the setup of the factory fitted second battery won't void the warranty on the car, but if you want to leave it as it is that's your choice... Plenty of people have done it without issue..

You know, they aren't allowed to say that to you and they certainly aren't allowed to DO that to you.

In Australia we don't need two crankers. One cranker is enough (except Mazda vehicles all seem to have a cranker :wristy: behind the wheel too). If you want to change that into an aux go for it.

You might affect the warranty on that battery - it is a SLI (Starter, Lights, Ignition) which is not designed for deep cycle work - but if they try to tell you that your torsion bars are affected, or turbocharger fault is due to it, then they are having you on and you need to bring the authorities in on it.

That's just bloody wrong and they ought to know better.

If you have had any dealings with these companies they will try and blame anymods you have done,& I meant warranty on elec side not whole car.Will find out from auto elec tomorrow what law he is talking about.[my last new car L300 4x4 89 model,i had brakes pulling to one side,they blamed it on me parking on street & dogs pissing on wheels,when I told them what I thought of that I got a nasty letter from mitsu au threating legal action & cancelation of warranty if I went to press,,set of steel king pads fixed prob]I don't have time,money or need headache of battling Nissan.Hugh

Pfft. Believe what you want. Nissan don't fit smart alternators to d22s. Modifying the setup of the factory fitted second battery won't void the warranty on the car, but if you want to leave it as it is that's your choice... Plenty of people have done it without issue..

I know it doesn't have a smart alt like Ranger,BT 50 but will find out more tomorrow.Hugh

a properly installed second battery wont void your warranty
thats like saying installing spotlights will void wty?
i would change auto elec's and dealers cause there both yankin ya chain

If you have had any dealings with these companies they will try and blame anymods you have done,& I meant warranty on elec side not whole car.Will find out from auto elec tomorrow what law he is talking about.[my last new car L300 4x4 89 model,i had brakes pulling to one side,they blamed it on me parking on street & dogs pissing on wheels,when I told them what I thought of that I got a nasty letter from mitsu au threating legal action & cancelation of warranty if I went to press,,set of steel king pads fixed prob]I don't have time,money or need headache of battling Nissan.Hugh

Under Australian law they aren't allowed to "cancel warranty". They ought to rethink that.

A warranty is a voluntary promise offered by the person or business who sold the product or service to you. Once you buy the product or service, the promise becomes a right that can be enforced under the ACL.

from http://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consumer-rights-guarantees/warranties

They can't decline it because you might have annoyed them. They are obligated to uphold it.

Sweet Jesus these retailers will try anything sometimes.

Dogs pissing on your wheels you have had it tough with the dealer still pays to be cautious.

My car goes in for first service on fri,at different dealer[local]will ask them about warranty,i would rather use the battery under hood than carry another.Hugh

a properly installed second battery wont void your warranty
thats like saying installing spotlights will void wty?
i would change auto elec's and dealers cause there both yankin ya chain

This isn't just installing battery as battery is already installed,but that battery is designed to run car,anyway after input from forum I went to another autoelec this morning & he gave me same story,so till warranty runs out it looks like a 3rd batt for me,but will still check with service dept tomorrow.Hugh

Latest posts

Back