05 navara

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlie

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this forum and am looking to purchase my first car. I'm looking at a 2005 Nissian Navara ST-R. Just wondering if this model has the unreliable ZD30 engine in it or if it was made before they were introduced as I've seen lots of conflicting answers.

Cheers, Charlie.

The zd30 aren't such a problem in the navs, unlike the patrols. They are set up entirely differently. In fact that model are one of the better, more reliable navs.

Souping a little 4 cylinder up to try getting a patrol moving wasn't a great idea. The nav is more old school and basic. Has a different turbo and fuel system. They're no speedster but it's not unusual for these to rack up some high kms without too many problems.

ps. Yes, they were zd30 until about '07-'08.

The main thing with these is to get one that has been serviced. If things like oil and filter, fuel filters, coolant change are are done at scheduled intervals, then they last. The same as any car.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm new to this forum and am looking to purchase my first car. I'm looking at a 2005 Nissian Navara ST-R. Just wondering if this model has the unreliable ZD30 engine in it or if it was made before they were introduced as I've seen lots of conflicting answers.

Cheers, Charlie.
ps. Yes, they were zd30 until about '07-'08.

The main thing with these is to get one that has been serviced. If things like oil and filter, fuel filters, coolant change are are done at scheduled intervals, then they last. The same as any car.
Thanks heaps mate

Yep, what Horatius said. Mine has 370k and still a trooper and plenty more of us on here mate
Danm strait! 03 @ 340000 and still on the gas pulling a camper round Australia! Going for W.A from VIC next trip!
Service them and they're fine...

The zd30 aren't such a problem in the navs, unlike the patrols. They are set up entirely differently. In fact that model are one of the better, more reliable navs.

Souping a little 4 cylinder up to try getting a patrol moving wasn't a great idea. The nav is more old school and basic. Has a different turbo and fuel system. They're no speedster but it's not unusual for these to rack up some high kms without too many problems.
You're right! But they should have put the V.T in the nav too :) broom broom

They got better pistons from 2004, though they do use the VP44 fuel pump which need to be looked after.
They don't use the VNT turbo or MAF which is the main reason Patrols got a bad rep.

They got better pistons from 2004, though they do use the VP44 fuel pump which need to be looked after.
They don't use the VNT turbo or MAF which is the main reason Patrols got a bad rep.

Are the pooroll turbo conversions for the zd in the navs causing issues?
Do they fit a MAF also?

Hesitate to say this (don't want to jinx it) but I have an '04 fast approaching 400,000kms. So I suppose if it clags it it has earned its keep anyway. Only engine modifications are an intercooler and catch can, apart from that it's stock. Those miles are misleading also as it's spent so much of that time off road working its guts out in low range for not many kms, in all conditions from snow to (more regularly) mid 40's, had the speedo sensor wires ripped off for a while too so it wasn't registering (drove by tacho). To say it hasn't been spared off road would be putting it mildly.

As far as the zd30 goes the only thing I can remember having to replace is a fan belt and a tensioner pulley bearing (probably because of lots of mud and river crossings).Though I'm very fussy with servicing. Have actually had water (snow melt) level with the top of the side mirrors on one crossing, took the risk rather than being stranded (yeah, I know). The two biggest problems I have had with it amount to getting bad fuel (twice). Both times had to remove/drain/clean the tank change filter and blow out all fuel lines.

Have also heard of people with more kms than I have still happily towing their vans around the place. So you can be lucky/unlucky with cars, but I wouldn't worry too much about the bad rep these things got via the patrol. Going from the six to trying to squeeze power out of a four in them was a bad idea (though I think they ended up sorting them out eventually).

The navs are a different thing.

Hesitate to say this (don't want to jinx it) but I have an '04 fast approaching 400,000kms. So I suppose if it clags it it has earned its keep anyway. Only engine modifications are an intercooler and catch can, apart from that it's stock. Those miles are misleading also as it's spent so much of that time off road working its guts out in low range for not many kms, in all conditions from snow to (more regularly) mid 40's, had the speedo sensor wires ripped off for a while too so it wasn't registering (drove by tacho). To say it hasn't been spared off road would be putting it mildly.

As far as the zd30 goes the only thing I can remember having to replace is a fan belt and a tensioner pulley bearing (probably because of lots of mud and river crossings).Though I'm very fussy with servicing. Have actually had water (snow melt) level with the top of the side mirrors on one crossing, took the risk rather than being stranded (yeah, I know). The two biggest problems I have had with it amount to getting bad fuel (twice). Both times had to remove/drain/clean the tank change filter and blow out all fuel lines.

Have also heard of people with more kms than I have still happily towing their vans around the place. So you can be lucky/unlucky with cars, but I wouldn't worry too much about the bad rep these things got via the patrol. Going from the six to trying to squeeze power out of a four in them was a bad idea (though I think they ended up sorting them out eventually).

The navs are a different thing.
Just wondering did you use the intercooler from the patrol or a random aftermarket one?

Just wondering did you use the intercooler from the patrol or a random aftermarket one?
A random one from fleabay. I doubt it does anything for performance, the idea was basically a catch can for the turbo should the impeller end up in little pieces.

Latest posts

Back